Friday, September 19, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 9/19/2008

On Thursday morning, I met with TWC. He handles much of the Christian Education at my church. We had a good visit. Beginning in January, I will begin working with him so that I can see how the theories I am taught in the classroom apply in practice. The only question remaining is whether or not this will be in a formal or informal capacity.

I learned that TWC had originally planned on being a senior pastor. He was being groomed in his first stint at the church under the direction of Bill Bruster. He also visited the noteworthy Riverside Church in New York and commended the book Where Cross The Crowded Ways: Prayers Of A City Pastor by Ernest T. Campbell to me. Campbell (b. 1924, no relation to my knowledge), who served as their pastor 1968-1976, spent as much time researching his prayers as his sermons! It was good to get to know TWC better.

Afterwards, Bible Study was conducted. We discussed different interpretations of Revelation (the book, not the theological concept), the interpretation of John 11:25, and the nature of humanity. It was your typical session with this group.

After Bible Study, I ran errands with SMA. We stopped by the Disc Exchange and Michael’s. I never go to the latter without SMA. He is always getting something framed. On this day it was print of a painting depicting Johnnie Jones running in Tennessee’s 41-34 victory at Alabama on October 15, 1983. Jones ran 66 yards for a score to the north end of Legion Field to win the game for the Vols. The border was done with leather from a football. It looked very cool. The masculinity of the item almost made up for us being in yet another arts and crafts emporium. Almost.

No comments: