Wednesday, September 17, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 9/17/2008

On Tuesday night, SMA, WRK, and I attended a play at the Performing Arts Center at Pellissippi State Community College. WRK was to receive extra credit for attending “Patriots and Lovers” and since my love for the theater is no secret, I was asked to attend as well.

Lovers & Patriots is a two-performer, two-act play depicting “The Love Story of John & Abigail Adams.” The set was composed of two desks where the two wrote to each other. While John was serving as a delegate in Philadelphia, Abigail raised their children at home in Braintree, Massachusetts. Their letters are invaluable to the historical record as they provide an insider’s account of the Revolutionary War.

The play was written by and starred Gary L. Anderson. Anderson is “our country’s only full-time nationally renowned portrayer of Clarence Darrow and tours year round.” He is based out of Redding, California. The role of Abigail was played by local actress Elizabeth Attaway.

Though we appreciated the concept, the play dragged. We left at intermission. I promised WRK that if she was unable to write her summary, I would assist.

Before we left, WRK stopped by her locker. Why does a college have lockers? (Note: Examine the photo closely through the eyes of a teenager to determine why they are laughing.)

After much debate (and deciding not to eat when we found a crowded Buffalo Wild Wings), the evening concluded at Calhoun’s in Turkey Creek. I did not realize it at the time, but I ordered essentially the same meal I eat at Applebees. I do not like Calhoun’s wings (which they are pushing) near as much. I rated them a C and SMA, who sampled mine, rated them a B.

No comments: