Tuesday, September 16, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 9/16/2008

On Monday night, my team played its second game in the slow break basketball league at church. My team was pitted against a team captained by GLO. We played much better on this week. In fact our 30 first half points exceeded our total from the previous week. Still, we lost our halftime lead and the game, 57-52.

We played the second half shorthanded. SRM could not attend and MPW sustained a leg injury midway through the first half. I had never seen him ask out of a game. Please keep him in your prayers.

As usual, I gave the half-time devotional. I have started a policy that the player who makes the play of the game in one game selects a basketball player to feature in the next week’s devotional. JTL merited the play of the game with a blocked shot. Admittedly, he was called for a foul on the play, but we only scored 28 points collectively so highlights were few and far between.

What basketball player did JTL select for his devotional? Sarah Palin. Yes, the vice presidential candidate. Palin (#22 in the photo) was the point guard and captain of the Wasilla High School Warriors’ 1982 state championship team. In those days, she had the nickname “Sarah Barracuda”. Her team upset top-ranked Anchorage East 50-48, then defeated another Anchorage school, Service, 58-53 in the state final to win the title. She hit a critical free throw in the last seconds of the game, despite having an ankle stress fracture. She shot free throws underhanded.

To give equal time, I noted that Barack Obama's basketball nickname was "Barry O'Bomber" in deference to his jump shot.

Next week's devotional we be selected by JDM for his blocked shot of WDS. No foul was called. God willing, he will select a player who is actually known for basketball.

After the game, SH, JDM and I were joined at Applebees by Amanda #2 and Amanda #3. We watched a great Monday night football game (the Cowboys beat the Eagles 41-37) ) while talking. Amanda #2's handbell choir at St. Mark United Methodist Church will be playing during both morning services at Bearden United Methodist Church on October 19th. Does anyone want to go?

When I returned home I found that my parents had also returned, safely from their trip to Rhode Island. They brought me a souvenir shirt from Newport. It does not denote the state so I can wear it to represent my home town.

It was great to have them home.

No comments: