Wednesday, September 10, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 9/10/2008

On Tuesday afternoon, I experienced a glad reunion with many people at church. I went to lunch there as the church provides meals on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons in addition to Wednesday nights in its Fellowship Hall. I went to see my friend MBR but got to see many other friends as well.

MBR was joined by his wife JGR. Their class had a unique Sunday School lesson on Sunday. Curriculum had not arrived so in light of it being an election year, SS had the group vote on which Biblical characters Jesus would have in his cabinet were he elected president. It sounded like a fun exercise. Any thoughts?

I briefly got to see RWW, whom arrived very late. He had a good time in Los Angeles despite the Vols’ loss, and even acquired the digits of a “talent.” I really have missed RWW.

I also got to catch up with some of my favorite ministers. WLB, the retired but always beloved JFC (aka Jo C.) TWC and GWS all attended. GWS noted how bad he felt for Tom Brady’s injury. Now I feel even more guilt for my initial (ever so short) pleasure at the announcement that he would miss the season.

I also got to catch up with SSC, JMM, JMT, RWW and RRP who was inexplicably at the church. (He is not a member).

One of the chefs was my good friend CEH. He left his job at Witt to become a culinary student at UT. He is assisting with the kitchen staff at church to gain experience. I am thrilled with this move as he seems happy. He will even assist in a meal for the university president before an upcoming football game.

It was a lot of fun. I hope to attend again soon.

On Tuesday night, I watched The Fall with SMA. It had been released earlier in the day on DVD. It stars Lee Pace from the television series Pushing Daisies. It is a visiually stunning fantasy film that kept our attention throughout. Not to give too much away, but SMA summed up the movie best when he said, “I think the thing we need to take from this is that clinically depressed stuntmen do not need to tell children stories.” That, my friends, is sound advice.

No comments: