Monday, August 4, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 8/4/2008

I had a relatively laid back weekend, getting to see friends and family and leading a couple of Bible studies.

On Saturday, I saw PAT in his first return visit to Knoxville in several months. He was originally scheduled to film a wedding on this day, but unbeknownst to the wedding party they had received a videographer as a gift. (The videographer was for the day, they did not receive an actual person.) Upon hearing this news, they still asked PAT and his faithful sidekick JTH to the wedding. Meeting up with PAT took more doing than we expected as PAT had the unenviable task of seeing everyone he knew in a six-hour block.

PAT drove in Saturday morning and was to call JTH and I after playing frisbee golf with his friend Jubin. In the meantime, JTH and I ran errands, such as getting gas at Weigel’s, getting his glasses fixed at Sears (they have an eyeglass center), and distributing some CDs to PCR at PacSun. The last two chores meant that we foolishly traveled to West Town Mall
on yet another tax free weekend. Some notes from our travels:

  • JTH had finally taken his driver’s test with co-worker JJ on Thursday (July 31st) to allow them to drive the new church vans for the daycare. They did no preparatory work other than while waiting to take the exam. Perhaps not surprisingly, both failed. The test consisted of two parts, 20 and 50 questions apiece. To pass, one had to demonstrate 80% proficiency. JTH scored the necessary 16 on the first part before failing the second while JJ failed both halves. The benefit of this failure is that it acclimated them to the test and bought them time with co-workers who are tired of having all of the driving duties. Had they passed the written portion of the test, they would have received permits and later taken the road test. I asked if they could simply repeatedly postpone the driving portion and continue to renew the permit since there would theoretically always be another licensed driver in the van with them. We may check the possibility of this contingency.
  • What was a Gondolier Restaurant near Farragut High School is now another restaurant called Papalinas. Clayton “Smity” Smith and his wife, Mary Ann, purchased the restaurant, now the first Papalinas in what Smith hopes to make a local chain. Most restaurants have failed in that location. (Well, I suppose all to date have since they are no longer there.) You may remember than in the April 8th edition of Eckleburg’s Eyes, I vowed never to go to that particular Gondolier again.
  • We made an illegal detour through the Farragut High School parking lot. They have a sign that says “speed humps” as opposed to “speed bumps”. Does anyone know what the distinction between the two is?
  • We ran into the recently divorced BA at the gas station. She still looks great. She was there with her boyfriend , Stuart. He looks like a Stuart which made JTH feel good to see a beautiful girl with a Stuart.
  • There are actually three eyeglass businesses in the mall. That just does not seem right.

By the time we arrived at the mall it was past 1 pm and JTH and I were quite hungry. When PCR said that he could meet us for lunch at the food court, we jumped at the chance and had PAT meet us there when possible. That would be a 1:45.

There was nary a seat in the food court and the restaurant lines were long. I braved the line at Sbarro to get my beloved spaghetti and meatballs (naturally with extra balls). JTH and PCR, veteran mall workers that they are, selected a new establishment, The Baja Bistro, simply because there was no line. The smaller sign of Baja Bistro reads “Burgers and Burritos”. With that winning, completely natural combination, I have no idea how they were not busy.

I took this picture of a wall-sized advertisement for the Rush Fitness Complex. You will notice that the girl pictured is headless (acephalous if you will). I always feel bad for her. Its as it they are saying, “we may not be able to do anything with your face, but we can improve your body...”

PCR has been enlisted in a group called Mavericks where he will supply input to the corporate offices of PacSun. I informed PCR that I was there on business and drew him out of retirement to play church league basketball. The league dates have not been set but my friends are anxiously awaiting the season. He had two requests, neither of which will likely be granted. 1. Since the basketball court is being repainted we discussed the possibilities of having a picture of he and “GQ Jesus” at center court. 2. He wanted me not only to give the devotions but play just to see the fear of God enter the opponents. I felt good.

When PAT arrived we had the unexpected pleasure of seeing his sister AMTT and brother-in-law JCT. They are all well. We got the scoop on PAT’s beautiful new girlfriend CDM. The biggest issue was where the Georgia native’s football allegiances lie. Her father graduated from Georgia Tech and she has always supported the Georgia Bulldogs as she has lived in the area. We believe there is still room to educate the girl. The good news is that according to PAT she is as sweet as she comes off in his blog.

After a brief stop at Marshalls (where I got a Peyton Manning Tennessee jersey for $15), I returned home. My parents and I soon drove to Strawberry Plains to go to the Outback Steakhouse. We met my family there to celebrate my cousin LV’s 20th birthday. It is a restaurant we seldom frequent as there is not a location near our home. On this night, our meat was dry and we were not overly impressed.

The highlight for me was that our party of fifteen pushed our waitress to the limit simply by being there. She spoke to us all night as if she was performing crisis intervention. It was good to see the family. LV’s son CWV sat at the head of the table and the hit of the night, especially for my mother.

My aunt supplied the dessert - cupcakes from Cities Cupcakes Boutique. This is a new, novelty bakery and gift shop that opened in May in a 1,250-square-foot space at 5201 Kingston Pike. It seems that there are now several businesses in Knoxville which specialize in simply cupcakes. They were a big hit. I refrained as it was a day early for me to be eating dessert.



On Sunday morning, Sunday School convened at RAW’s home. KJW was not there. RAW had been working in Inglewood, Tennessee, until after 10 pm the previous night so she stayed with her grandmother. I was able to send out a text message to inform the class of her absence. I did not want to be accused of false advertising.

Despite KJW’s absence, we had a great class if I do write so myself. We discussed among other things the ramifications had God appeared to Moses as a giant worm in Exdous 34. Believe it or not, this was not from WAM! As always, there is a WAM Quote of the Day posted.

On Sunday night, the Summer Breeze Bible Study convened in MLM’s basement. It had been a long time since I had been there. I taught on the hallowed ground that his son’s band The Big Tease used for rehearsal space.

We had a good adult contingency, but only one student arrived - HAS. In deference to this, I have dubbed my group “Holy Haley and the Heathens”. MLM and I have decided that we will conclude summer Bible Studies by mid-July in the future. Note: I took this picture of a disgruntled me to encourage the rest of you to allow me to take unflattering pictures of yourself for the blog.

In spite of the minimal attendance, we were all pleased with the session though this inconsiderate teacher droned on too long. It only hurt myself as it gave me less time on Sunday night with KJW.

As you probably guessed, after class I returned to RAW’s house where KJW, her parents and I watched an episode of Wonder Pets. For ther first time, we saw a part-time Wonder Pet named Ollie the Bunny. Afterwards, we flipped through the channels and RAW found the Colts first preseason NFL game. KJW said, “I don’t like this.” Since she usually likes basketball, we remarked that she must be more a hoops fan like her daddy. She then said, “No basketball.” Soon afterwards, she added, “How about Wonder Pets?” It was a good night.

No comments: