Thursday, August 28, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 8/28/2008

On Wednesday night, I completed the second week of my class “Survey of Adult Education” (EP 520). We had no one either drop or add the class, so it appears our group of nine will constitute the roster. We will also remain in the Humanities Building, despite initial reservations from RGB.

We covered the readings from our text book, The Profession and Practice of Adult Education: An Introduction, which RGB co-authored. We also watched a video from 1987 with three pioneers in the field: Malcolm Knowles (1913-1997), Burton Kreitlow, and Cyril Houle (1913-1998). My contributions to the discussion included referencing both Britney Spears and Beyoncé. I considered it a good night.

In all seriousness, I have been very pleased with the program, though I am behind the curve in regards to familiarity with theorists. I am not comfortable in that role and am trying to catch up. I have been pleased to learn that I am indeed an adult educator and believe the material I will learn could be of great benefit to the church. I am even contemplating attending the American Association for Adult and Continuing Education (AAACE) conference in Denver from November 11-14. Keep this opportunity in your prayers.

Two notes from my travels on Wednesday: 1. Best Buy has all television DVDs on sale for 25% off this week. If there is something you have been looking for, now is a good time to buy. 2. Mr. K’s Used Books in Oak Ridge’s windows have been covered with a collage of various pictures. This one stood out to me. It is a photo of 1980s wrestling tag team The Rockers! The blonde is the now legendary Shawn Michaels.

Finally, I did learn some bad news on Wednesday. While reading Wednesday’s Daily Beacon I learned that sophomore defensive back Brent Vinson is one of two UT players suspended for the season opener for failure to attend class last semester. Naturally, “Cousin Brent” is a family favorite. I could not get too upset. I am sure he did not miss as many classes as I did as a freshman.

No comments: