Wednesday, August 13, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 8/13/2008

On Tuesday, I helped SMA clear out his storage unit. After the day’s events, he estimated one or two more trips before it was empty. My part of the process entailed accompanying him to the Disc Exchange and then to McKay’s. You might say I am an expert on such things. I think he needed moral support. Despite trading his mother’s VHS copy of Richard Simmons’ “Sweatin’ to the Oldies”, SMA was far more embarrassed to be seen in the possession of a Dave Matthews Band (DMB) CD. Amazingly, neither store accepted the DMB product.

I made a shocking discovery at the Disc Exchange, and not just that they have rearranged their DVD section. They are selling Hannah Montana action figures. Yes, we cannot even visit Knoxville’s artsy record store without being inundated by Hannah.

After the Disc Exchange took minutes to process our vast order, we took their rejects to McKay’s and waited for quite some time while they too processed crates of CDs. This was our view from a couch awaiting on order #718. We debated the financial waste of two flat screens and the prospects of SMA running for register of deeds under the platform of being the worst candidate ever, discarding all document on camera and setting local real estate back hundreds of years. You know we have been in the store a long time when I have exhausted my shopping capacity. In my defense, I am still struggling with the sinus infection.

In other SMA news, he plans to apply for an opening at the National organization to Protect Children. In this way, he could use his law degree to help children. He is excited by the prospects but assumes that because it is something he is excited by, his chances of obtaining the position are slim. I figure as long as he approaches the position with a positive attitude he will be okay. Keep this opportunity in your prayers.

Finally, Tuesday was ERM’s 26th birthday. Happy birthday, Erin! We miss you in Tennessee.

No comments: