Friday, August 1, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 8/1/2008

On Thursday night, I traveled to Halls and visited JBT and JTH as they gave the Halls branch of MoFoS a facelift. They are preparing the store for the prospects of new management in the coming weeks. I had not been to the Halls store in sometime, or Halls for that matter. Then again, I cannot think of any other reason that I might travel to Halls.

I do not want to get anyone to excited, but there is a possibility that I might get a free grabbie machine of my own! As the guys were cleaning the back room, they came across an old machine that is presently not functioning. JBT debated even throwing it away. It is The Challenger model, meaning it is the type that scoops and not the grabbing variety with which I have shown great proficiency. (I dare say I have mastered it.) I am hoping this works out as I have always dreamt of owning my own grabbie machine. (I took the childhood pleas to dream big to heart.)

No, I have no idea how I will fix the thing. Evidently grabbie machine repairmen are not listed in the phone book.

We ate at the Bel-Air Grill, a hamburger joint with a 1950's theme. There used to be several around the city but the Halls franchise is the only one that has survived. The hamburgers and cheese toast are as good as ever. It was a good night with friends.

In other Thursday news, my mother, DLNV, had a letter published in the Knoxville-News-Sentinel. The letter showed her support of Finnbarr Saunders, who is running for county commission in District 4A. If interested here is her letter:

Saunders rekindled political enthusiasm

When I was 12 years old, I remember waiting with much anticipation for the candidate, John F. Kennedy, to hold a political rally on Long Island where I lived. His charismatic personality and strong ideals inspired me about what America could be if we citizens would get involved in the political process.

Many years have passed and, like many other citizens, I have become cynical about our local, state and federal governments. This spring, that light of idealism was rekindled when I attended a gathering for Finbarr Saunders. He is a positive campaigner who sees what the 4th District can and should be. His devotion to the preservation of our historic areas as well as his passion for envisioning a better tomorrow is a hopeful message amid such a negative atmosphere.

His willingness not to sit on the sidelines and to sacrifice time, energy and wealth for his fellow citizens is admirable. Thank you, Finbarr, for reigniting my interest in the political process that I once had as a child.

Dotty Vinson
Knoxville


I am not sure what surprised me more: that my mother revealed her real age or that her name was actually spelled correctly.

Though I seldom get politcal on the blog I will give you five reasons why I will vote for Finbarr: 1. He is an acolyte. 2. He attended Trannsylvania University. 3. He allowed himself to be photographed wearing a bowtie. 4. This guy’s name is actually Finbarr. 5. He is an acolyte. (Yes, I know I counted acolyte twice.)

No comments: