Monday, August 11, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 8/11/2008

Over the weekend, I ingested my body weight in snot. You probably did not want to know that, huh?

I spent the better part of Friday Saturday sick in bed. I am pretty sure I caught whatever illness KJW was struggling through earlier in the week. Unfortunately, my immune system is not as new as hers. Signs I am sick: The thermostat remained set at 70. I did not drive. I attempted to cook a meal. Yeah, it was bad.

On Sunday, I got back into commission by leading two Bible Studies. I am fairly certain I was no longer contagious. Well, I hope so anyway.

On Sunday morning, Sunday School met at RAW’s house. KJW greeted me at the door exuberantly. Hearing her shout my name repeatedly made me think that getting sick snuggling her earlier in the week was worth it. More or less...

To get my attention, she carried a stuffed duck (a plush toy, she is not yet into taxidermy) and said, “Quack” repeatedly making sure I knew that she knew what sound a duck made. After going through what several animals “say”, I asked her what a KJW said. After reflecting for several seconds she replied, “Mama!” (Note: This picture features KJW’s beloved “Frannie Bear” and not the duck in question.)

I modeled great priorities by teaching the class during the commercials and halftime of the United States’ basketball team’s 101-70 victory over China in the Olympics. (The game prompted KJW to bring her daddy his basketball.)

It was actually from this game that the day’s biggest revelation emerged. None of our class had any idea that Henry Kissinger (who attended the game) was still living! Wikipedia says he is 85 but I am fairly certain that he is closer to 206. You can’t trust everything you read on the web.

I must also add that my lifetime as a Dukes of Hazzard fan greatly reduced the pleasure of Olympic archery. Bo and Luke could hit smaller targets while hanging out the doors of the General Lee!. I am sure these shots emerged from the first take too...

As always, a WAM Quote of the Day has been posted.

On Sunday night, MLM and I convened the last Sunday of the Summer Breeze Bible Study with the college group aka Holy Haley and the Heathens. We covered the entire New Testament in one sitting! Needless to say, we went past the scheduled closing time, but that is more or less a given.

No comments: