Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Bible Trivia - 8/26/2008

Question: For what request was Adonijah put to death by Solomon?

Answer: Requesting to marry Abishag. (I Kings 2)

Comments: Adonijah was the fourth son of David (II Sam. 3:4). After the death of his elder brothers, Amnon and Absalom, he became heir-apparent to the throne, but his younger brother Solomon was chosen instead. After the death of his father, Adonijah requested to marry Abishag whom had served as "the king's nurse and served him" (I Kings 1:4). The whole harem of an eastern monarch was considered part of the regal succession and as such it was treason for a subject to claim any woman who had once formed a part of it. Solomon interpreted his half-brother's request as an attempt to seize the crown and had him executed.

"Now therefore, as the LORD lives, who has established me and set me on the throne of David my father and who has made me a house as He promised, surely Adonijah shall be put to death today." (I Kings 2:24, NASB)

Note: This image of the "Death of Adonijah" was first published in 1573 by an unknown master.

No comments: