Wednesday, July 9, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 7/9/2008

On Tuesday, I began my formal training at the Hope Resource Center.

My training consisted of watching a VHS tape and then debriefing with LEB. I was confined to this room, which coincidentally was furnished by my church. It felt like I was in prison and that watching the tape was cruel and unusual punishment. It’s not just me. LEB apologized profusely for subjecting me to the necessary, but painfully dull video. It was made all the worse as I had not eaten when I began watching the epic presentation.

The footage featured a steady camera filming Cyndi Philkill (CRP) leading a seminar. There were many shots like this one in which someone spoke to her in which I got only a glimpse of the back of the speaker’s head. This is actually better than the shots of CRP nodding her head in approval of some unknown entity.

The tape’s struggles were compounded by the fact during the taping, she was very sick and coughs excessively throughout. I understand wanting to fulfill one’s obligation, but I am thinking postponing the filming would have been a good idea. The coughing was so prevalent that I honestly thought I would be told she had died shortly after filming.

Though the material was very good, it could easily have been condensed into a half hour segment. The feature was so lengthy that the studio audience, if you will, received two breaks during the portions I watched. I was not so lucky. LEB consoled me by noting that the series is comprised of seven volumes and that I will only be subjected to tapes 1 and 5.

One of the principles of the tapes was that I should use my own painful experiences in counseling. Well, watching the tapes was one brutally painful experience.

Being the mature person that I am, I spent part of the time periodically texting JTH so that he could share my pain. Almost two hours into the experience, I let him know the tapes were still going. His response: “Who is teaching this thing? Henry T. Blackaby?” I am not sure if I found this hilarious because I have never associated Blackaby with being long-winded or the fact that JTH incorporated his middle initial.

After watching the videos, I debriefed with LEB. I like her a lot. We compared notes on Juno, which we both agreed was necessary viewing for crisis pregnancy workers. She also recommended Bella when I am emotionally prepared. Duly noted.

On the way home, I had my hair cut at Ross the Boss & Co. Mt stylist, Britney (BLC), was recovering from inexplicably falling on her face in the store and damaging two teeth. Unfortunately she was also slated to lead the music at Vacation Bible School at Cedar Bluff Baptist Church. The swelling incurred made this quite difficult. By Tuesday, it had reduced significantly and she had disposed of the shoes despite admitting that they probably were not a primary contributor to the incident. I told her if I have learned nothing from television, it is that “it had to be the shoes.”

On Tuesday night, JTH, MR. X and I went to Applebees. Amy was our waitress, as is often the case. As all waitresses do, she asked if we wanted a dessert. We declined. When she told us that she could provide free shooter desserts, the answer changed exceedingly fast. I refrained as it was not Sunday. Mr. X requested the apple version and she mocked his decision, noting that it was the least popular choice and that when people do order it they tend to let it sit. So she brought him two, an alternative and the apple he requested so that he could see she had advised him properly. He finished both of them just to spite her though admitted it was not as good as others. Well, to us anyway. So, when ordering a dessert shooter at Applebees, apple bes not the choice.

Finally, has “haha” replaced “lol” in texting/i.m.ing? If so when and why did I not get the memo?

No comments: