Friday, July 4, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 7/4/2008

I spent my Thursday celebrating CMU’s 35th birthday, albeit a day late.

On Thursday morning, my Bible Study met to view The Bucket List. We all enjoyed the movie and will be debriefing on it next Thursday at 10 am at the church if anyone would like to attend. If time allows, I will post a review after the debriefing under “A Veiled Tell: Nil Soli.”

Afterwards, MLM and I led CMU to the seldom used church courtyard where a surprise birthday part awaited CMU. MLM’s secretary, ALC, was invaluable in assisting the ruse. I have always said that deception is one of the key assets needed by any church employee. Ten people attended: CMU, his parents, ALC, MLM and his wife DLKM, LAC, myself, a couple I had not previously met.

CMU’s parents provided the food, Buddy’s Bar-B-Q and an ice cream cake. It was a fun gathering as we celebrated the life of a friend. He seemed to appreciate the work gloves JTH and I selected for him. They were a perfect fit, which was not surprising as we bought the biggest size available.

We reflected on the improbable connection between CMU and our church. A friend of his named Bill Claiborne from ITT Tech dropped him by our church with no connection to it on a random Wednesday. It just happened to be the only time in his eighteen years at the church that MLM had a Wednesday night function for college aged people. I also happened to be in that group. We have all been blessed by this surprising connection.

I must note that LAC was at the church not only for the party but for the expansion of our church’s branch of Edwin L. Hodges Ministries. A new trailer will now be housed on the church lot, one of incoming books and one for outgoing books. It was quite a momentous day at CBC Bearden!

I spent Thursday night at a bonfire at RAW’s after briefly stops visiting JTH at MoFoS and Chick-fil-A. In retrospect bonfires are far more pleasurable when conducted any season other than summer! This event was held primarily because RAW was sick of looking at the pile of wood in his yard.

KL, MP, KLTW, KJW, MPW, and another of KLTW’s South College classmates named Jenn attended. In addition to S'Mores, watermelon smothered in vodka was served. RAW was a bit perturbed that I was tipped off to the spiked watermelon. I would not have eaten it anyway as I am one of the few people on the planet who does not care for watermelon.

My Chick-fil-A made me a huge hit with KJW. She simply sat by me and took what she wanted thinking I would not notice my food being pillaged if she sang my name. Her continually looking in the bag even after the food was gone was priceless. I explained to her that this behavior was okay since it was me, but inappropriate to simply snag strangers' food. Somehow, I do not think this lesson will take.

No comments: