Tuesday, July 22, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes- 7/22/2008

I spent Monday night at the Silver Spoon Café with TAM and OMM. We always eat there as it is a mutual favorite.

The restaurant changed their menu about two weeks ago. As a regular, I had not perused a menu there literally in years. So I decided I would take a look. The house specialities are now printed in red and I decided to try one I had not before. The Burgundy Burger lived up to its billing.

I also noticed a disclaimer that informed that the menu was available in Braille upon request. So I requested one. My waiter did not know if one existed, but the staff was able to dig one up. The menu has not been updated in years. It is also huge! Unfortunately, there is absolutely no writing on it so the waiters are clueless when asked to help direct the customer to anything.

In other Silver Spoon news, longstanding waiter Ed will work his final shift on Sunday, July 27. He is leaving for graduate school in North Carolina. Ed has worked at the Spoon for seven years and is most known for his serenading tables with his operatic voice. He will be missed.

TAM and OMM are well. TAM has been asked by fellow retired seminary alum RBW to team teach a Wednesday night Bible Study. Earlier this summer, the church made wireless internet available on the 2nd and 3rd floors of the east side of the building. The duo plan on using this new technology as part of the “Roy and Tom Show”. TAM allowed RBW first billing due to his seniority. I suggested the acronym RATS.

As always, TAM was a fountain of recommendations. He endorsed Anderson Cooper’s book Dispatches from the Edge. Like many from the church, he also suggested William P. Young’s novel The Shack. Though I usually scoff at fiction, I may check this book out as so many have raved about it.

TAM also recommended a web site called Rome Reborn in which archaeologists have rebuilt Rome during the time of Christ. Click the link to access it.

TAM and OMM both recommened the animated movie Wall-E.

It was a good night with dear friends. They always go out of their way to be kind.

Also at the restaurant was SBC, father of my childhood best friends RCC and BSC. RCC is now working for his father handling all of the accounting duties at Chancey & Reynolds Inc.. BSC is working as a bartender at Aubrey’s. It was good to hear that both are doing well.

No comments: