Wednesday, July 2, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 7/2/2008

I had a great Tuesday night, as any night spent with KJW is.

After briefly visiting JTH at MoFoS, I met KLTW, KJW, and RAW at a Cracker Barrell for supper. One of the added benefits of the country store aspect of he restaurant is that it provided many props to take KJW pictures with. When I arrived, her mother took her to me, but she nonchalantly said, “It’s Chan” as if to assure her mother that my presence was nothing to get excited about. At least she knows me.

Each time I visit a Cracker Barrel, I am surprised by some item that is so bizarre it floors me. On this visit I noticed that they carry something known as pickled garlic. In the event you have been searching for this item, look no further.

The meal took quite awhile to arrive so KJW made due with the crayons they provided and the peg game. When this exhausted her attention, she began playing with sugar packets. Actually, she repositioned each and every packet of sugar or sugar supplement. The task of cleaning went to her OCD Uncle Chan.

When even this failed to keep her attention, she became a bit restless. She said, “I need to hold you, mommy.” While this sounds sweet, it was merely a ploy to get out of the seat she had been confined in for too long. Her mother did not mind being used in this way. The child has always been sneaky.

Eventually the food arrived and it was good. The family is also well.

KLTW is on day two of a hellish schedule that will continue unabated until a week respite in August. Her spirits are high at this point. She continues to impress the hospital in Morristown. She was asked if she would like to sit in on a brainstorming session amongst the doctors. Each week, they take a very difficult case and toss out ideas. It sounded like a consultation on the television drama House. She declined thinking that she would have very little to add. I told her to just suggest sarcoidosis. Though I have no idea what this is, it is suggested in every episode of House I have ever seen. The illness is never actually sarcoidosis but it always has to be eliminated.

RAW is well also. He and his partner (at work, not a homosexual reference) Jerome recently had a theological discussion on whether or not there are stupid prayers. They concluded yes. I merely reminded him that a Bible Study long ago, WAM asked for prayer for Babe the Blue Ox. Enough said.

In KJW milestones, her mother painted her toenails for the first time this week.

It took awhile to get KJW to leave the store. She was captivated by a toy known as a Weazel Ball. (Note: The spelling is correct.) Only at the Cracker Barrel could you find such a game. She also insisted on rocking in the rocking chairs before leaving. They even have chairs in her size.

After supper, we returned to RAW’s and at my suggested watched the DVD new release Drillbit Taylor. It is the story of three nerds who hire a low budget and, unbeknownst to them, homeless bodyguard played by Owen Wilson. Wilson was the draw for me. It was not horrible. Even KLTW and RAW admitted that I have subjected them to far worse films.

KJW was very good. Her mother crawled into her “castle” to play with her. KJW asked, “You stuck?” This sound very much like “you suck”. Add this to the growing list of things fun to hear KJW say.

Before leaving, I was given my copies of some KJW photos from her Portrait Innovations photo shoot. This sample is her father’s favorite. All of them turned out well. I take part of the credit for this success as I have made her life one big photo shoot.

Finally, Tuesday marked my old friend NEP’s 30th birthday. Happy birthday, Nikki.

No comments: