Wednesday, July 16, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 7/16/2008

On Tuesday morning, I continued my training at the Hope Resource Center. This week’s accommodations were greatly upgraded from last week's. The cell sized counseling room I was held in the previous week was occupied, so I was placed in a much larger room with several couches, which I used liberally. I also learned my lesson from last week (amazingly) and ate at Shoney’s before beginning the epic presentation.

The VHS sessions resumed with Cyndi
Philkill
(CRP) continuing to expound upon the “Seven Fundamentals” (I have titled the tape series the “Neverending Counseling Story”) . The terminology should tell you the theological framework with which I found myself in. This session spanned more than one day so CRP actually had a wardrobe change. She also used the expression “dissing Jesus”. It takes so little to please me these days...

Afterwards I debriefed at length with LEB. Next, I will shadow MLM in counseling sessions for several weeks and then I will begin my official tenure at the center. I am grateful to know the person I will be shadowing as this hopefully will diminish one leg of a triangle of awkwardness.

On Tuesday night, the Summer Breeze Bible Study continued at the home of WSJ. I had not been there in some time. As the session followed a lake fellowship on a beautiful day, we had our best attendance of the summer: 11 students and 5 adults (if you count me). We discussed the wisdom literature. I enlightened the group on incidents of biblical strip teasting, which even got RWW to perk up.

The event marked the return of Brice Solomon (BS). He is back in Tennessee after having served in Iraq. He told us of his journey to the middle east featuring stops in the midwest, Bangor (Maine), Germany, and Kuwait. He also caught us up to date with many of the problems of the area and the parts of the conversation I grasped were interesting. He is well and looks good. It was good to have him home.

After Bible Study, I picked up JTH and we went to Wal Mart and a movie. He informed me that JBT’s string of misfortune continues as he broke his arm playing basketball with GAB at our church earlier the day. The attendant could not find an emergency release form, so we are hoping JBT does not sue the church for liability. (Seriously, this has not been considered.)

We went to see the 9:45 showing of Forgetting Sarah Marshall at Carmike Cinemas Movies 7. The once $1 theater recently raised its prices to $4 for admission. In addition to the movie the viewer receives a voucher entitling her to a 32-ounce fountain drink and a popcorn as well. In fact, we actually went more because JTH was craving movie popcorn than a movie. He later lamented that it may have been the worst movie popcorn he had ever sampled.

We saw two people we knew of. UT basketball phenom Scotty Hopson with a beautiful girl half his size. Actually, that is an exaggeration as he is 6'6" and she was taller than 3'3".

Can some explain to me the new phenomenon of wearing a titled baseball cap with flat rim?

We were actually more pleased to see frequent MoFoS customer and Movies 7 ticket ripper Mark. And by frequent, I mean daily. He was pleased to see us and oversaw all of our movie needs. He did, however, refuse to rip our tickets.

JTH had seen the movie before and had been craving a repeat viewing. I had not previously seen the film. The movie was good if one can get past the superfluous full frontal male nudity from writer/star Jason Segel. If you into that sort of thing, you will really enjoy the movie. Though marketed as a romantic comedy, I did not find myself laughing out loud that much, but did genuinely appreciate the drama. Besides, co-stars Kristen Bell and Mila Kunis have never looked better.

Finally, on Tuesday I picked up tickets for The Dark Knight. My Bible Study will be attending a 10:30 am showing Friday at Carmike Wynnsong 16. If interested, feel free to come. A theological discussion of the film we held be held the following week.

No comments: