Tuesday, July 15, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 7/15/2008

On Monday night I aroused police suspicion. Again.

My evening was spent with JTH. I helped him work a shift at MoFoS. This entailed me running the register while JTH performed completely unnecessary tasks that demonstrated his OCD.

For those who read the prayer blog on Sunday night, the latest on JBT is that his wedding is still postponed indefinitely. He has been able to accrue refunds on all things wedding related except for his honeymoon cruise (which is understandable) and his yet-to-be taken wedding pictures (which is not). Since he and SCB are still together they may still take the cruise. The only snag is the awkwardness of being situated in the honeymoon suite.

After his shift, JTH and I ran some errands and inevitably also into some problems. You see, there was a picture I wanted. It was a sign at the First Baptist Church of Bluegrass. The sign reads, “A man is not educated who does not know the basic truths of the Bible” The grammatically incorrect sign has been displayed for several days and the irony of it essentially affirming its educational superiority amused me greatly.

I realize this picture is horrible but JTH and I did our best with my camera phone for several minutes and it need be posted. Unfortunately, these several minutes aroused police suspicion and an officer stopped to chat with us. He was actually quite friendly and I thankfully did not have to go into great detail as to why I wanted a picture of the sign.

JTH and I lamented how often we find ourselves in such situations. Some guys are chick magnets, JTH and I are cop magnets. I think this was God’s way of telling me not to make fun of churches...

I heard from SMA on the first day of a week long self imposed exile at a Quality Inn in Johnson City. He is removing distractions so that he can best prepare for the bar. He called as there is a sign outside of Freedom Hall advertising “Word Championship Wrestling” on August 2nd. He was wondering if he had somehow entered a time warp as that organization has been defunct for years. It is actually mislabeled as the event is part of the "WWE SmackDown/ECW presents SummerSlam Tour". If WCW was still in operation, this misnomer would have been a great coup for them but now it is just a sad reminder of their demise. Sorry, SMA.

No comments: