Thursday, July 10, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 7/10/2008

My Wednesday began early as I was enlisted to drive RAW and KJW to his Best Buy van (lucky #13) so that he could get the tires changed. The incentive for him doing this on his day off was that he is paid for the time that the van is being serviced. So, I drove him to Best Buy, followed him to Firestone Complete Auto Care and then we took KJW to breakfast at Shoney’s.

KJW reached an unfortunate milestone on Tuesday night. She was sent to her room without supper for the first time. She refused to say her blessing - “Thank you Jesus, Amen.” She was sent to her room and later returned promising to bless the food. She then reneged. A girl has got to take a stand every now and then and by God, she was not going to thank Jesus for this meal. So she did not get one. I am not certain about the theological dimensions of eliminating an unblessed meal, but an uncooperative child must be disciplined.

Unfortunately, I inadvertently engaged in positive reinforcement of negative behavior. As we followed her father to the tire store I asked her if she had gotten into trouble the previous night. She sheepishly said, “Uh-huh.” The way she said it made me laugh uproariously. Soon, she bragged, “I got in trouble, Chan!” I tried to correct her and informed her father of my idiocy and he added further correction. Hopefully, my negative reinforcement negates my positive reinforcement. My experience with children makes me seriously doubt this.

On this day, KJW was in a much more cooperative mood. Shoney’s graciously waived their no shoes, no service policy for KJW. They also allowed her to eat from the breakfast bar free of charge. While she enjoyed the food, she far preferred the Goldfish crackers we brought with us than any sustenance the restaurant provided.

After breakfast, I went to take KGG to lunch for her 16th birthday on Friday. Unfortunately, she was not home. She had a 103 degree fever and she and her mother were at the doctor. I felt this was valid excuse.

I did get to catch up with her brother JJG and drop off her gift - the Family Guy Freakin’ Party Pack. It is her favorite show. Her mother did grant approval before the purchase as well. KGG later called me pleased.

We are hoping that she recovers from her virus enough so that she can get her license on Friday. She already has her automobile. Like me, she bought a Nissan XTerra. Unlike the Chanana, hers is black. Nothing is perfect.

No comments: