Sunday, June 8, 2008

WAM Quote of the Day - 6/8/2008

As usual, the ever reliable WAM accompanied me to a preaching engagement at Southside Baptist Church in Newport, Tennessee. As always, there was a wealth of material to choose from in the realm of quotes. My favorite came after we had returned to Knoxville. A wreck was impeding traffic and I made a deft move across four congested lanes in one fell swoop that I must admit impressed even myself. Quite frankly, the English language (or at least my mastery of it) has diffiuclty describing this procedure. After regaining his composure and seeing that I was pleased with myself, WAM commented:

"Any lane change you can walk away from is a good one."

Honorable mention:

  • In response to outrageous gas prices: "If you ever run into anyone who says Iraq was a war for oil smack them around and tell them they’re an idiot!"
  • In response to me writing the previous quote down: "I’m sure I’ll say something better later."
  • In reponse to the church's altar which reads "This do in remembrance of me": "Is that grammtical?"
  • In response to my presenting tax collectors in Jesus' day as more villainous than their modern IRS counterparts: "That’s because you don’t own your own business!"
  • In response to my characterizing our waiter as kind for leaving a pitcher: "Or very lazy...one of the two."
  • In response to my explaining an analogy from Leonard Sweet's The Gospel According to Starbucks: "Only God can polish a turd." If you are familiar with the book, this may make sense to you.
  • In response to my asking if he often used his swimming pool which is now inactive: "All the time..Kowabunga dude!"

No comments: