Thursday, June 26, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 6/26/2008

As usual, I had a full but fun Wednesday.

SMA and I went to Fountain City for lunch at Litton’s Market and Restaurant. We had very little wait, but did get to put a name on the blackboard. We used “Shango” (as in Papa) as we always name our party after a retired professional wrestler.

Litton’s is one of Knoxville’s best restaurants. Open since 1946, Litton’s has the best hamburger in Knoxville (or anywhere else I have ever been for that matter.) It is where Todd Blackledge filmed his “Taste of the Town” segment during last season’s Tennessee-Georgia football game on ESPN. Like Blackledge, SMA always eats the Thunder Road cheeseburger. I prefer the hamburger myself.

The only news from the restaurant is that they have new menus and will be closed for vacation from June 30th to July 10th.

We ate late because his bar exam course went exceedingly long. A professor from UT's law school distributed a 43-page outline and spoke endlessly regarding LLCs. The day was not all lost as SMA drew an impressive Batman cowl and a fat man with a bow tie during the course of the lecture.

On Wednesday night I went to the fourth night of the Rocky Top Basketball League at Bearden High School with MPW and his father ROW. My review is posted under a “View from 315A”.

After the second game, I left to join JTH and Mr. X to watch the romantic comedy Definitely Maybe. We had a choice of four new releases and we selected this one in part due to it mirroring JTH’s decisiveness or lack thereof.

The film traces Will Hayes’ journey into fatherhood as told to his daughter Maya (Abigail Breslin). The viewer has three choices as to who is Maya’s potential father, none of which is genetically realistic. Would I recommend the film? Definitely not. It is not horrible but it is not one of my favorites.

I did especially like the following dialogue:

Will (Reynolds): “You’re a mess. You could do anything, anything, and you work in a bookstore. At least I tried; I went out there and tried. As a friend, maybe you should get some help, some life rehab."
April (Isla Fisher): "Life Rehab?"
Will: "I don’t even know if they do that, but if they do I think you could be a prime candidate.”

If anyone knows where to get some “Life Rehab” count me in.

No comments: