Wednesday, June 18, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 6/18/2008

Tuesday marked KJW’s 2nd birthday. Naturally, we celebrated her entering an age universally described as “terrible.”

Prior to the festivities, I ate lunch at Ruby Tuesday in West Town Mall with SMA. He selected the restaurant as he needed to see a nearby optometrist.

I tried their “Gourmet Chicken Pot Pie”, which according to our waiter (who was convinced it was “evening” at noon), said the dish had been on the menu only 1½ months. The restaurant is trying diligently to reestablish the fledgling franchise. My food was good, and left a strong, not unpleasant aftertaste. SMA also recommends the Chicken Fresco.

SMA is well and at 2:30 was to have the four staples embedded in his head removed. He is still preparing for the Bar exam, with his professor Bishop providing taped messages the first three days of the week. His professor has been the most entertaining to date, which is not an especially grand accomplishment.

As noted, on Tuesday night, we celebrated KJW’s second birthday. The celebration was delayed due to unforseen circumstances. So, I played the Wii with KL and MPW at her apartment for several hours. Despite its name sounding like a euphemism for urine, I must admit, it is my favorite game system.

We briefly played KL’s selection of “Raving Rabbids”, a game so convoluted that I struggle to describe it other than saying only the Japanese could have invented it. We spent most of the time playing Game Party. Not surprisingly, I enjoyed trivia and MPW loved the pop-a-shot game as our host graciously allowed us to pick the games we played. After struggling (read: understatement) to get the hang of the pop-a-shot, I left with the high score of 52. Unfortunately, I was equally slow to get the hang of entering in my name on the leader board, and the score is attributed to MPW. I have a sneaky suspicion that it will not last long anyway.

I must note that this was my first time visiting KL in her Sunchase apartment, though I have swam there more than once. My favorite aspect of this was overhearing her roommate bark commands on a headset from another room. He is a competitive gamer and was intentionally oblivious to our presence. Hearing his imperatives out of context reminded me of Leeroy Jenkins.

We did not get to see KJW until 10:30 on her birthday due to circumstances beyond all of our control. This was okay as she was still wired. After two stops at a nearby Wendy’s (they forgot KL’s nuggets though they did graciously supply her with two sauces for her nonexistent chicken), we arrived at the party. In addition to the three of us, we were joined by JTH, KLTW, RAW, and KJW’s first cousins from Dandrige JRK and KGK (pictured).

KJW was in a great mood. KL and MPW bought her bongo drums which she proudly played for us. The kid already has great rhythm. If she becomes a famous drummer, this will be the first documented photo of her as a percussionist.

My parents bought her a basketball set. She was thrilled, repeatedly screaming, “It’s a basketball!” We hooked it up to the front door and she dunked repeatedly. This was fitting as throughout the night, we watched the Celtics massacre the Lakers 131-92 to win the NBA championship. KJW wanted nothing more than a Celtics title for her birthday. Wait, that was her daddy.

It was a great celebration. We all left exhausted into Wednesday morning, the only one seemingly not tired was the birthday girl.

In other Tuesday news, I received an e-mail from my director JLW thanking me for my acting services and informing that 37 decisions were made during the week of VBS. Thank you to all who prayed for this event.

No comments: