Thursday, May 8, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 5/8/2008

I had a light Wednesday at home with my family.

I picked myself and my mother up food from Ham ’N Goodys. Masculinity is diminished exponentially just by entering the establishment. The place was packed on this day and there were actually two other men in the sandwich shop (both named Mark). This made me feel better about my machismo until one of the men received a phone call which revealed a ring tone playing Mr. Mister’s “Broken Wings.”

As usual, I waited a long time for the order. First, the elderly gentleman who took the order forgot to take down our name. Then, he forgot that they were out of the chicken salad that my mother ordered. Then, someone remembered they were making a batch that could be prepared in “three minutes.” So I waited on that. When I finally got home, my mother’s side salad was incorrect and her chicken salad had an excess of eggs. Ham ’N Goodys has excellent food (it was voted best bakery in Knoxville), but the worst service. I feel bad complaining as it is a Christian business and the people are always pleasant.

My father picked up take out from Silver Spoon for dinner and aside from forgetting the essential extra honey mustard and my soup, it went far better.

In big news, there was a run on Joker figures from the new Batman movie in New York when they were released on Tuesday. Some believe they will be collector’s items. Just for the good of the local community, I checked Wal-Mart and can report that they have a vast supply, less the one I purchased. I love both Batman and Ledger, so the purchase seemed a natural.

The new trailer for the film was also released recently. You can watch it here. It is the longest footage to date of the Ledger as The Joker, in his last completed role. The movie will be released July 18.

Congratulations to SDSH, who graduated from the University of Tennessee's College of Veterinary Medicine school on Wednesday night.

In closing, why does Red Robin have so many advertisements on Knoxville television without any locations here? I wish they would bring one as I have heard they have very cute waitresses, oh and gourmet hamburgers...

No comments: