Tuesday, May 27, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 5/27/2008

I had a relaxing Memorial Day. To be honest, our family has never really celebrated the holiday, though my father did take an extremely rare day off of work.

My day revolved around doing my initial walkthrough of Matthew 9:9-13 for a sermon at Southside Baptist Church in Newport on June 8. That church is my Waterloo as it represents my homiletical downfall. I have spoken there many times and always bomb. With that ringing endorsement, you are welcome to come. Just let me know and I can probably get you a ride.

On Monday night, I ate with my parents at Aubrey’s' Bearden location. The food is very good, though I do not eat there all that often. My parents, however, are regulars.

My father lamented the fact that they had spent much of the day seeking a lawn umbrella. After much searching, they went back to the place they started - Kohl’s - and bought the first one they looked at. That is fairly typical. Needless to say, my father would have preferred being at work. Then again, they could have done just about anything and my father would have chosen work instead.

While at the restaurant, my mother saw a woman who hosted a part she had recently attended. If you know my mother, you know that seeing someone she knows is a given. We also met the woman's husband, Jim Brown (JB, not the football player or even football commentator for that matter). He works for QualPro, Inc.. He seemed utterly shocked that my father had his company’s book - Breakthrough Business Results With MVT: A Fast, Cost-Free, "Secret Weapon" for Boosting Sales, Cutting Expenses, and Improving Any Business Process. He said that this was the first time he had ever randomly encountered someone familiar with the book. Given the title, this did not particularly surprise me...

Speaking of books, after dinner we went to nearby McKay’s and selected some books for KJW. I always enlist DLNV’s services in selecting books for KJW as she is an expert on children's literature. I would tell you what we bought, but KJW may read the blog and I do not want to ruin the surprise. Yes, I know she is two.

No comments: