Friday, May 23, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 5/23/2008

I had a great Thursday, spent mostly with my church family.

At 10 am, my Bible Study met as usual. Though we met for over an hour, we convened early as MLM received an SOS from Madisonville, Tennessee. TSC was on a trip when the van broke down. MLM left in another van to save the day. I suppose that is a valid excuse for walking out on a Bible Study...

We will be on hiatus next Thursday (May 29th) as MLM will be serving on yet another mission trip. When our summer schedule begins on Thursday June 5th, we will be viewing movies for theological discussion. Some will be viewed at the theater and others on video. There will also be brief devotionals to begin each session. If you are ever free on a summer Thursday, consider yourself invited. Don’t feel you need a theological background to attend. One movie already on the agenda is The Dark Knight, the lastest in the Batman series. Have I mention that I want to see that film?

After Bible Study, I met my friend and advisor HBT at Eva’s To Go in Franklin Square (located at 9700 Kingston Pike # 5) Eva’s is a frou-frou sandwich shop and the food is delicious. Its caramel cake is consistently voted among the best cakes in town. My mother was friends with the old owner (naturally, Eva) who sold the restaurant to Cindy Lay so that she could retire. The West Knoxville location opened on December 5th, 2006, and seems to be doing well. HBT is clearly comfortable with his masculinity. Not only did he select the locale, but he wore a pink shirt and ordered quiche. I must say he pulled it off. (I am comfortable with my masculinity too.)

HBT is doing well, though he still battles polycythemia. His daily regimen of chemotherapy (via pill) wears him down by 2:30, but it is working. His counts are now in the acceptable range of the 360s. When he began chemotherapy on April 5th, his count was 563! Though I do not entirely understand all of the medical terminology (read: not at all), I am glad he is improving.

HBT has many professional successes recently. In addition to teaching at Carson-Newman College, he has almost completed his commentary on the Book of Revelation, tentatively titled “The Control of History: Studies in the Book of Revelation.” The title is based upon a poem. The book is geared toward the pastor and layman and the parts I am familiar with are excellent. I will be reading chapters soon and providing feedback.

The only snag thus far is that HBT’s radically conservative publisher, Broadman & Holman (B&H), has rejected the book as it does not reflect Premillenial Dispensationalism. (Do not get me started on how this line of thought is against historical Baptist thought.) His contract with B&H precludes his working with another publisher until they first reject his manuscript. This is just another way the SBC engages in censorship as they will not even sell Smyth & Helwys books (another Baptist publisher) at their Lifeway bookstores. HBT next hopes to peddle the book to the respected Methodist publisher Abingdon Press. It will be yet another loss for the Baptists. I apologize for the rant. In any event, keep his work in your prayers. I will let you know when the book is released so that you can check it out.

I also learned that HBT's former student Keith Manuel published a dissertation on him at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary: "The Text-to-Sermon Relationship as Rhetorical Invention in the Theory and Practice of Harold T. Bryson". That is quite an accomplishment.

HBT is always encouraging and as usual, he made my day. Plus, he paid for my meal. Thanks, HBT!

No comments: