Thursday, May 15, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 5/15/2008

I spent the better part of Wednesday imprisoned in my own home as a workman arrived to wallpaper two bathrooms. This was especially inconvenient as when he arrived, I had no idea he was scheduled to be there. On top of that, he only completed part of a single wall in one of the bathrooms. In the entire day! (After my Gulfport trip, I am now qualified to critique such things.)

On Wednesday night, I visited with KLTW and KJW. RAW was playing basketball at the YMCA. In his absence, I did bring RAW a book - Finding God in the Lord of The Rings. He loved the trilogy and has nothing to read. KLTW has mixed emotions as in his lack of reading material, he has been working on many of her “projects.” On the other hand, she can study without being distracted.

When, I arrived, KJW was taking a bath, which she likes. She also had to wash her hair, which she does not. She had eaten at Mangia earlier in the day and gotten pizza in her hair. The photo on the left is what she does when you ask her to see her “beautiful face” (as opposed to her “mad face.”) The right is what she looks like with a faux-hawk.

I learned that “Chan’s Car” has now made KJW’s list of “family.” This list previously included only her parents, herself, and her “Frannie Bear.” Yes, my Xterra made the family before I did.

After her bath, KJW and I watched an episode of the ubiquitous SpongeBob SquarePants on Nickelodeon. She has television tunnel vision just like her father as she simply cannot be bothered while watching. When the show ended, we switched to Noggin (a live action show was beginning on Nick) and began an episode Wonder Pets. She is very cute singing “What's gonna work? Teamwork!" It is in every single episode. You would think if that was always the answer, the Wonder Pets would instinctively use it. I'm probably analyzing too much...

I did not finish the episode as even I have my limits in regards to children’s programming. Though SpongeBob is unequivocally her favorite, she has added both WonderPetz and Max and Ruby to her favorites. RAW especially likes the latter program as of the two bunnies who star on the show, the male is always portrayed as the smarter character. Insert your own realistic joke here.

As we watched television, her mother worked on a poetry critique as part of her curriculum at South College. We watched the former Poet Laureate of the United States Billy Collins here. Collins is great. Unfortunately, her paper was on a 16-line poem. We enjoyed Collins nevertheless.

Finally, during a break, we saw a commercial for the Atlantic resort, which uses a reworked version of the Moldy Peaches' "Anyone Else But You"(featured prominently in Juno.) The new version features lyrics like “Let’s go ride a couple of dolphins/Or maybe play tennis/Or do some golfing.” Need I say, this is horrible!

No comments: