Thursday, April 3, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 4/3/2008

I spent the majority of my Wednesday in the house in an effort to avoid my arch rival - the sun. It is a good thing that I got a haircut as I would have looked very much like a clown with the old Bozo hair and blood red skin.

KLTW called me in the morning with an investment opportunity. It seems NBC’s “Today Show” is giving away a house for $100. Owners J.J. Rodgers and Wes Ludlow launched an essay contest to dispense their two-story Red Feather Lakes, Colorado home. The contest comes after the home had languished on the market for three consecutive summers. They are hoping for a minimum of 2,000 entries by the May 25 deadline. Rodgers last listed the property at $169,000 after cutting the price three times. With national exposure, they may make a fortune on the house.

We may all chip in $20 and team up on an essay as KLTW is the luckiest person I have ever met in regards to contests. Besides, the essay topic is up the writer. I could write about Moe Howard and Adolph Hitler being one and the same, that Crispin Glover is sane and the rest of us are crazy, or simply expound upon my left big toe. Unfortunately, the contest is limited to 500 words and I would clealry need far more space to due my toe justice. The possibilities are still limitless. Actually, if I am shelling out $20 that could otherwise be spent on books, I will do a background check on the owners and steer my essay towards their interests. It will be like being in school again.

It would be ironic to own a vacation home but not have the money to get there or pay its taxes.

It would still be a better investment than my NCAA Tournament Bracket. Speaking of which, I am in a good position to repeat in last place in my Yahoo Pick ‘Em "Potty Trained & Potty Mouthed" bracket. After the first round four rounds I was in fourth, fifth, fourth and now eleventh place respectively out of 25 entries. This would be respectable except for the fact that none of my teams remain in the field, ensuring me a low finish. All I had to do was pick the top seeds. That would have been far too easy though.

I watched Gone Baby Gone in the afternoon. I loved it and not just because I am an Affleck fan either. My review is posted under a “Veiled Tell: Nil Soli.”

Two recent stories of note: The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) was in my neighborhood investigating a potential attempted murder. It seems First Assistant U.S. Attorney MEW had been receiving death threats when his gardener noticed what could be bomb paraphernalia in his yard. The neighborhood was abuzz with police. The culprit turned out to be my next door neighbor! Teenager ZG shoots off rockets periodically and while usually very responsible, lost one of them. When it was found in MEW’s yard, chaos ensued. It was ironic as ZG is universally regarded as a great kid and neighbor. It was, however, disheartening to hear that one of my neighbors was receiving death threats.

The other story may be interesting only to those who know both employers involved, which admittedly is few. One of MoFoS “suppliers” recently got a new job with our good friends at the Witt Building Material Company Inc.. He came in the store and told JTH how much he loved wood working and was pleased with his new job. Witt is a great company and I would not think of going elsewhere for my vast lumber needs, but I think this is a sign that they really need to pay their employees more...

1 comment:

Amy T. said...

I'll help write an essay . . . it would be nice to put the English degree to use at long last!

AMTT