Wednesday, April 23, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 4/23/2008

I spent Tuesday night with WAM, KLT, KJW, and RAW. We met at RAW’s house and then progressed to Sir Goony’s Family Fun Center. When KJW and RAW arrived from the gym, I discovered that this is the first week KJW has had her hair in pig tails. Admittedly, they are very short pig tails, but pig tails nevertheless. Just when I thought the child could not get any cuter...

Sir Goony’s is actually located adjacent to RAW’s backyard. If and when he constructs a bridge across "his" creek, it will be accessible by foot. For now, we drive. I explain its propinquity to interpret why we decided to play the most poorly kept miniature golf course in America. The water in the water feature is literally black. Thus, “Black Water” is not just a Doobie Brothers song, but also a landmark. While the song dates me, I would not be surprised if the park had not seen a maintenance worker since it was originally popular.

KJW “played” some too. She was even supplied a miniature (even for mini golf) club and an orange ball - her favorite color. Her Vol obsessed grandfather must be so proud. (Note: This photo was taken after she “traded” balls with her mother.)

As usual, I finished dead last. I was magnificent on the front nine holes. I was in first place and had hit three holes in one, including acing the very first two holes. My downfall can be attributed to two factors: 1. I am not a very good golfer and 2. I become increasingly impatient as the game goes on. Though I enjoy playing (the trip was my idea), nine holes is about my limit. I still finished seven under par. About that...

RAW, our official scorer and most competitive player since SMA is in another state, made the executive decision to add one to each par. This was attributed to the course's deplorable condition significantly enhancing the degree of difficulty. To be honest, KJW also became a significant obstacle as the night wore on. See photo. Amazingly, she was not hit all night.

Naturally, RAW won the game.

Afterwards, the gang went to Chick-fil-A. I would love to tell you it was to support a great Christian organization, but on this night it was because the restaurant comes equipped with a play set. We needed one for an increasingly restless KJW. It was a good choice as we ended with a tantrum free night. Who could ask for anything more?

No comments: