Thursday, April 17, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 4/17/2008

My week-long birthday celebration continued on Wednesday night as KLTW organized a social at her home. The night began with RAW and I supervising KJW as she wrote on the pavement with chalk. Soon, at KJW’s request, RAW and I also participated in the activity.

RAW and KJW drew airplanes (she loves them) while I composed a piece that KJW described as “Heart and ABC’s.” She cannot differentiate between alphabet letters but she knows that they are letters. Here, you get a rare glimpse of my art. I was pleased that my work was good enough that even a child could distinguish the figures. Unfortunately, the masterpiece will be lost to history as the canvas is routinely cleaned by rain.

Another milestone in KJW’s life was reached before dinner. She ate her first Fla-Vor-Ice. She loved her grape treat. It was difficult to contain my emotions at the sight of this coming of age moment.

When we were summoned in for dinner, it sounded as though KJW cursed her uncle. Of course, she did not. Words that KJW says that sound like cuss words: Sit, flag, truck, vacuum (“Vac”), pizza (“piss off”), etc. Yes, I made a list.

The group then ate. KL (aka "Sunshine"), KLTW, MPW, RAW and I had chicken dumplings. KLTW cooked my favorite meal. KJW ate a substitute as having only two molars limits carnivorous activity. KLTW also had another of my favorites, pecan pie, for dessert. As usual her cooking was delicious.

After dinner, RAW and I watched SpongeBob SquarePants (again) with KJW as the rest of the crew searched online for a place to stay in Charleston. KLTW’s summer break begins on June 16 and the group is planning on renting a house in Folly Beach for a week. KJW’s birthday is June 17 so we are hoping to celebrate on the beach. If this does not work out, we are thinking of taking our families to Charleston in September. We will not be denied a Charleston vacation!

I gave KJW a toy baseball that flashes upon force. I am pleased to report that we now know that she does not have epilepsy.

Afterwards, we watched Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. Though the movie was released in 2004, I had not seen it. My thoughts are posted under “A Veiled Tell: Nil Soli.”

No comments: