Tuesday, April 15, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 4/15/2008

I had a great first day back in Knoxville with my birthday celebration continuing.

In lieu of action Bible Study, MLM, CMU, and I ate at Silver Spoon and went to a movie. I selected both the locale and the entertainment. The meal was great and MLM graciously piked up the tab. They even brought me gifts. MLM selected a copy pf Kristin Hahn’s In Seach of Grace while CMU bought me a Leatherman 64010103K Micra Multitool. I may start a pool on how long it will take me to injure myself with the tool. I really hope it is when it is out of my pocket...

We learned that our waiter BR was also the drummer in a local reggae band called Fat Penguin. In addition to their home page, they have a MySpace page here. Is “fat penguin” redundant?

We then went to the 1:15 showing of Juno at Carmike Movies 7. The $1 (er, $1.50) theater has seen better days. One poor young man was selling and taking tickets as well as being the only person working the concession stand. Yes, they only had one employee on duty.

I picked Juno. I love the movie. (I will not review it as I have seen it before.) I have actually seen it twice in the theater. If you know me, that says a lot. It debuts on DVD on 4/15 and I highly recommend it. MLM loved it as well and we both thought it had a very “pro life” message whether it intends or not. My favorite line from the film:

"Someone is going to receive a precious blessing from Jesus in this garbage dump of a situation...." - Bren MacGuff

We then returned to the church and ate cake. CMU had baked a chocolate sponge cake that complied with the South Beach Diet. CMU could not partake as he is on phase 1 and the cake is only for those to phase 3. MLM and I ate some. We did not want to appear rude...

On Monday night, the playoffs began in the Slow Break basketball league. JTH’s team came out hot, scoring the game’s first eleven points. Unfortunately, they did not score much the rest of the half, but went to the half with a 16-8 edge. The action picked up in the second half and JTH’s team held on to win 43-36. This (very blurry) photo is of BAP hitting clutch free throws. The team is now in the Final Four of the league and will play in the semifinals on Thursday. Admittedly, there are only six teams in the league.

After the game, we went to JTH’s parents’ home to see his mother. She had her second knee replacement surgery scheduled for the following day. (The first surgery was on the other knee). We were to eat her homemade pork chops, but JTH’s dad CEH (aka "Homer") ate all but one, so we picked up carry out from Papa John’s.

Homer also waxed the living room floor. If you know him, he is OCD. I think he used the same formula Clark Griswold did in Christmas Vacation as we could have slid anywhere in the house at 100 MPH if we really tried. I love Homer!

I must truly love KTH as I watched Dancing With the Stars with her. I have nothing against the show, it is just not my thing.

KTH and I commiserated over JTH’s recent decision to renew his relationship with CDM. I could not conceal my disdain. I really did not try too hard. For the record, I told JTH we were gossiping about him. By God, if I say something about someone, I say it to their face.

Afterwards, JTH and I stopped by Borders. We called it a night as KTH must be at the hospital by 5:30 am.

It was a great first day back.

No comments: