Tuesday, April 1, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 4/1/008

I spent the better part of Monday at the church.

I led my Bible Study, teaching on Luke 5:27-32 (the call of Levi). Somehow issues such as just war theory, the Evangelical movement and Johnny Appleseed came up. “My mind wanders...” (Read Garden State reference).

MLM’s DiscipleNow thought: Reading the Bible should be like marinating a chicken. The chicken (person) should eventually take the flavor of the marinate (Bible). This cannot be done if the two are in separate bags.

CMU’s fact of the week: Johnny “Appleseed” Chapman (1774-1845) was also a missionary for the Church of the New Jerusalem. As he traveled on the frontier he spread Emanuel Swedenborg's rendition of the gospel, which he called “news right fresh from heaven.”

I later returned to the church for JTH’s basketball game. There was a big turn out as his brother played his father-in-law. The elder team won a close contest, 43-42. JTH made a brilliant play drawing three defenders and dishing to an open teammate for a wide open three. The made bucket tied the game at 42. I complimented him on the intelligence of the play. JTH assured me that it was completely unintentional.

I was pleased as I got to reacquaint myself with SBP, wife of fellow hairy good looking redhead TYP. They are doing well and still living in Clinton. TYP quit his job with Young Life and is now working with his wife at the stationary design business she founded, the Happy Envelope. If you need a wedding invitation or other stationary check them out.

I was drafted to do the half-time devotional. CBS has been showing soundbytes of coaches discussing different aspects of basketball. One that I found very applicable to the church came from Michigan State basketball coach Tom Izzo (who does not always dress like a Spartan) while discussing recruiting. He said, “When players become better recruiters than coaches, you go from a good team to a great program.” I believe this is true of the church as well. The church will thrive when the members are better recruiters than the pastor.

After the game, JTH and I ate at Wishbone’s. There was no Honey mustard! We learned that shipments come in on Tuedays and Fridays, so on Mondays and Thursday, honey mustard is scarce. I will no longer be going there on those days if I can help it.

We then went to my house and watched the second-half of “Monday Night Raw.” It was an historic episode as Ric Flair gave his farewell address. Would that make it a Flairwell Address? Sorry, couldn’t resist. It was really great to see the greatest wrestler of all-time receive his due.

My favorite moment of the show came when Matt Hardy appeared. JTH commented, “To me, he’s always looked Canadian.” Exactly how one looks Canadian, I do not know.

In other news, DBN and RBN both started their respective new jobs on Monday. DBN is in a training class of ten and faired well. RBN applied for a job on Wednesday, interviewed on Saturday, and started on Monday. That process takes me months...

No comments: