Friday, April 11, 2008

Bible Trivia - 4/11/2008

Question: Complete the following quotation of Jesus: “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and...”?

Answer: “I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:28)

Comments: Like Jesus’ quotation from Matthew 11, the inscription on the Statue of Liberty also invites the downtrodden in. An inscription on a bronze plaque at the base of the statue reads:

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

The lines are taken from an 1883 poem by Emma Lazarus (1848-1887) entitled "The New Colossus." The sonnet's words reflect the great hope with which immigrants traveled to America. The poem's lyric presents great opportunity while Jesus' words offer a great promise. Our hope should always be in Jesus, not in the world.

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28, NASB)

No comments: