Friday, March 14, 2008

Word of the Day - 3/14/2008

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous means existing or being everywhere, especially at the same time; omnipresent.

In Psalm 139, David speaks of God’s ubiquitous nature:

Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.
If I take the wings of the dawn,
If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea,
Even there Your hand will lead me,
And Your right hand will lay hold of me. (Psalm 139:7-10, NASB)


Some have said that the Book of Job is a midrash of Psalm 139. At times Job agrees with the sentiments of the Psalm; but more often than not he turns its meaning upside down. In Job 23, he uses the imagery of Psalm 139:7-12 to articulate his complaint. Rather than expressing God’s presence, Job uses the Psalm's format to describe the feeling of divine abandonment.

Behold, I go forward but He is not there,
And backward, but cannot perceive Him; W
hen He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him;
He turns on the right, I cannot see Him. (Job 23:8-9, NASB)

Even though God is presently inaccessible to him, Job still believes that one day God will vinidcate him!

No comments: