Wednesday, March 5, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 3/5/2008

My Tuesday morning was spent running errands. The only particularly fun chore was shopping for KJW’s clothes at Wal-Mart in Oak Ridge (my Wal-Mart). Her Nana and I are responsible for roughly 90% of her wardrobe. Yes, I do far better creating her ensembles than I do my own. (I know you were thinking it.) Besides, the kid looks good in anything.

Speaking of which, I had noticed that she has been wearing pink almost exclusively lately. While she does of course look pretty in pink (sorry, couldn’t resist), I set out to purchase apparel in a different color. So, I bought a blue Cars shirt and a red/pink Elmo 3-piece pajama set. She loves both Elmo and Cars.

I was alarmed when I was cutting the tags off of her clothes and found this warning label on the Elmo outfit. Evidently the manufacturers are highly against sagging as should the garment not “fit snuggly” it is more likely to catch on fire. That means that this scenario has happened. I would think that this would be a problem worthy of correction. I am going to fill so guilty if KJW spontaneously combusts! I am also thinking that this label does not absolve Wal-Mart of negligence either. Hopefully, I will not have to find out.

I also completed and filed my paperwork for HRC. Assuming there is no child molestation or felony activity in my criminal background check, I should start promptly. Though I have failed miserably in recent years, I am pretty sure I am good on those counts.

I ate dinner with my father at Calhoun’s while my mother attended the massive Women’s Event at our church. He asked me if I had any use for the $55 in Best Buy credit he had accrued and that was soon expiring. Does a fat baby poop? Needless to say, after dinner, I quickly used the credit, amassing a pre-tax bill of $54.97. I do not mean to brag, but this was masterful job, especially without the benefit of planning.

I bought Family Ties Season Three ($34.99), The Remains of the Day on DVD ($7.99) and the Pogues’ CD “Rum Sodomy & The Lash” ($11.99). The title alone merits purchase. The Pogues are a long standing Irish band (my people) that play traditional Irish folk with some influence from the punk movement. More importantly, they use the Irish verb “rove” in many songs. I highly recommend them.

After my shopping triumph, I headed to MoFoS to hang out with JTH during his shift. This proved problematic as JTH was working in the kitchen during the Women’s Event and did not arrive until around 9:30 pm. The store closes at 10! Yes, he still came in for about a half an hour. I had fun spelling JBT, who had worked open-close for the second consecutive day.

Afterwards, JTH, JBT and I were joined by GAB at Applebees. JTH and I had planned not to eat, but as usual when JBT is ordering, there was an excess of food. JBT and I served as human garbage disposals.

JHT noted the striking resemblance our waiter had with former ’N Sync band member, Lance Bass. This naturally put the waiter’s sexual preferences into question. I actually question ours as all four of us knew who Lance Bass was.

Quote of the night, from JBT: “I don’t know why she bothers coming to church. She is such a slut!” Maybe that’s why she should be in church. I’m just saying...

2 comments:

Stephen said...

The Pogues you say? They sound wonderful. Where did you hear about them? ;)

Chandler Vinson said...

I believe I initially heard about the Pogues from a young man with a construction paper moustache on YouTube named Colin Meloy. ;)

If anyone is interested, the video is posted under "Save the Album" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq3imtB3U6o.

I figure you would rather give Colin a plug than credit for my Pogues fandom.

As an aside, I (the quintessential teetotaler) never dreamt I would love a song whose opening line is "One summer evening drunk to hell..."