Friday, March 28, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 3/28/2008

Thursday was one of those days where nothing went according to plan. In a painfully ironic twist, on the day when "emesis" was the Word of the Day, I was nauseous all day and could not eat until after midnight.

On Thursday night, I was to meet SMA and DBN at the Irish Times Pub & Restaurant at 7 pm. I would drive SMA there and DBN would drive him home, as I was to be at RAW’s by 7:45. Half of this went according to plan.

The only problem was that DBN did not get ready until 8:20 pm! I was more disappointed that he never got to the restaurant as we left explicit instructions with the hostess to berate him upon his arrival. I suppose it is encouraging that he has not changed that much in his two years away.

DBN’s unreliability did allow SMA and I the opportunity to listen to a ridiculously long, overly sentimental story on the Delilah (Rene) radio program. Yes, that would apply to everything that has ever aired on that show. I have no idea why we listened to the show as we both loathe it. Who doesn’t?

At the conclusion of the epic request, Delilah played Chicago’s “Just You ‘n’ Me” from 1973's Chicago VI. SMA and I were horrified that we both new the words to the song. (We think it is due to our mothers playing a steady diet of 97.5 as children.) SMA, the musical afficionado that he is provided an interesting song fact: Fish hate this song! (“Never release me/Oh baby don't release me.") It is tidbits like these that you will not find anywhere else.

Eventually, I did make it to RAW’s to watch the NCAA Tournament. Tennessee was routed by Louisville ending our season and the careers of Jordan Howell, Chris Lofton, and JaJuan Smith. My thoughts on the game are posted under a “View from 315A.”

Despite the loss and my queasiness (I actually borrowed two blankets!), it was still a good evening. KLTW even made homemade cookies. I could not eat them due to my diet and my lack of appetite. I did enjoy watching KJW enjoy hers though.

I returned home after midnight (the game tipped off at 9:58) and I stayed up and listened to the Bruce Pearl Show on the radio. I have grown very attached to this Vol team, having watched them all summer and having gone to virtually every home game and three road contests. I will miss supporting this team.

On the plus side, I was finally able to get some food in my system. Earlier in the day I bought some Eggo Cereal: Maple Syrup and I decided to give it a try. The cereal is designed to taste like waffles. I must say it does. If you like both waffles and cereal, try this product.

Thursday also marked MBR's 29th birthday. I hope you got my text, B.

No comments: