Thursday, March 27, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 3/27/2008

Wednesday was a beautiful day in Knoxville. I spent the night with RAW and KLTW on RAW’s last day of vacation. They spent their three days off together improving their house. It really looks good. On this day RAW worked on imbedding a television and shelves into his bedroom wall. RAW was highly critical of his work, though I was quite impressed.

When I arrived, they took a break and we ate at the Red Lobster. This was a treat as we rarely eat there. I ate shrimp, but more importantly we received an ample portion of their cheese biscuits. Is there better complimentary bread at any restaurant?

We then went to the home of RSC and PWC, who were babysitting KJW. They have three highly annoying dogs. In fact, they were the subject of the only rant I have ever heard MPW deliver. When we arrived, RSC followed me around the house with a water pistol and sprayed any of dog that got near me. I actually felt rather important as I was equipped with my own armed personal security guard. KJW was oblivious to the dogs by this point as she was focused on an apple. She did not wish to eat it, she just wanted to hold it and let us know that she knew that it was an apple.

We then drove back to RAW’s house in “Chan’s car”, as KJW repeatedly and cutely commented. Yes, I am entrusted with chauffeuring the baby from time to time. I watched/distracted KJW while RAW returned to his power tools. I gave her the "Blue's Clues" board book The Shape Detectives by Angela Santomero. I would love to equip KJW with Christian materials but every Christian children’s book I have read, particularly for her age, is inadequate. Things I need to write...

KJW spent the rest of the night playing with what amounts to super-sized Legos. Her daddy was so proud. While he really appreciates her current age, I think he is really looking forward to the day that he has an excuse to buy Legos, not that he really needs one.

Before closing I have three news blurbs to report:

  • 1. My favorite television show (though I have not seen it in some time) “Psych” debuts on NBC on April 6th at 8 pm EST. Original episodes will still air first on the USA Network but “Psych” along side another USA show (“Monk”) will then have the opportunity to expand their audience when each air their latest season on Sunday nights on NBC. NBC decided to air both series in a block as it is done on USA.
  • 2. A tattered, half-buried parachute that potentially belonged to notorious skyjacker D.B. Cooper was found near his reported landing site. In 1971, Cooper hijacked and threatened to blow up an airliner, extorted $200,000 from its owner (Northwest Orient), then leaped from the airborne 727 with 21 pounds of $20 bills strapped to his torso. He was never seen again—dead or alive. It is the world’s only unsolved skyjacking. I document this because: 1. The story is cool; 2. The FBI's composite sketch is priceless; and 3. His treasure was the subject of Without a Paddle, a 2004 film beloved by at least two of my friends.
  • 3. The Southeastern Conference (SEC) will be refunding tickets from the SEC Tournament I attended, which was marred by a tornado. The SEC said it will issue full refunds to fans who had tickets for the final three sessions of the tournament if they purchased them through the league, the Georgia Dome or one of the twelve member schools. The maximum refund is $125. To receive a refund, fans must mail their tickets to the original place of purchase, postmarked by April 18. I am satisfied but was really hoping for vouchers to next year's event in Tampa.

No comments: