Wednesday, March 19, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 3/19/2008

Tuesday flew by. I guess that means I must have had fun...

One day after sending out my resume, JW, the associate and interim pastor at The Church at Sterchi Hills called. Believe it or not, I actually answered the phone!

The good news is that he was impressed enough by my resume to call the day he received it. The bad news is that he has little influence on who gets hired and is not even on the search committee. It was still encouraging. I will meet with him next Tuesday at 2 pm and I look forward to (hopefully) making a new friend.

The bad news is that it looks like I will be getting my first haircut of 2008 pretty soon. Yes, I know no one else thinks that is bad news.

I spent a lot of the day preparing for Wednesday’s trip to Charleston. I ran errands, like getting gas and having the oil changed at Valvoline Instant Oil Change. I even printed out directions and our hotel confirmation number. I feel so responsible. I would feel even more so had I packed.

In the course of planning the trip, I made a horrifying discovery. JTH’s and my favorite Charleston/Folly Beach restaurant, The Anchor Line Restaurant, closed down shortly after we last ate there. (We hope the two events were not connected.) It seems there were plans to reopen at the same site but it was difficult to determine if this had happened yet from the online reports. We will report our findings from Charleston.

I spent Tuesday night with my parents at the Silver Spoon. I wanted to see them (and eat queso) before I left. I also received the added bonus of running into CEP and SP. SP is now a sophomore at West High School. He is following in his mother’s footsteps and is a fine tennis player. It is hard to believe that he is now taller than me or that I was once his nanny. Come to think of it, it was hard to see me as a nanny even then.

After dinner, I spent two hours at the MoFoS with JTH. That entire time was spent listening to JTH attempt to tell a single story. Part of this was due to his tangential "style" and part of it was because it was very busy. It was more because of JTH though. He did finally finish the story though and it was important. I'd have to say it was time well spent.

I also got to see MLM as he came to pick up an order he had JTH filling. MLM has been raving about a movie called Lars and the Real Girl, starring Ryan Gosling. It presently has a lofty IMDB ranking of 7.9 as well so MLM is not alone. It will be released on DVD on April 15th and I will probably review it shortly thereafter. The movie is still playing in Utah, Sarasota, FL, and Lansing, MI, so if you happen to be there, check it out.

Tuesday was my high school friend ALD’s 31st birthday. "Big Al" had the best butt fake in basketball I have ever seen. Happy birthday.

Finally, I am sad to report the death of one of my wrestling heroes growing up. WCCW manager "Playboy Gary Hart" died very unexpectedly on Monday at the age of 66 as the result a heart attack. He had just returned to his home in Euless, TX, from an autograph session in Pennsylvania. My deepest sympathies go out to his family and friends.

1 comment:

Chandler Vinson said...

This is an article on the Anchor Line Restaurant that appeared in the Charleston Post and Courier:

Anchor Line site may reopen as restaurant
Thursday, August 23, 2007

The old Anchor Line restaurant, 2293 Folly Road, is expected to have a new owner next month, although nothing will be finalized until the interested buyer closes on the property, according to real estate agent Keith McCann.

McCann, with Dunes Properties on Folly Beach, who represents the current owners, family members of the Bobbie Jean Bates estate, said the sale of the property is expected to take place in September.

McCann said the buyer, a man from Aiken, plans to open a seafood restaurant similar to the old Anchor Line. If it goes as planned, the restaurant will open in May 2008, McCann said. He declined to give the seller's name and sale price until after the closing.

"(He) plans to keep the restaurant like it is with the same style and flair," McCann said. He said the sellers wanted a buyer who would continue to operate it as a restaurant.

The Anchor Line closed in spring 2006. The property is in the town of James Island. McCann instructed the buyer, before closing on the property, to get the town's blessing to allow the restaurant to be rebuilt should it be destroyed in a natural disaster.

On Aug. 7, Town Council unanimously passed the resolution supporting the rebuilding of the facility to its exact footprint in the event of a fire, earthquake or other casualty. The council supported rebuilding it on the present location.

"It saves the restaurant site," McCann said.