Tuesday, March 18, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 3/18/2008

Monday marked a very productive St. Patrick’s day. I, however, did forget to wear green. I realized after I was dressed and was too lazy to change. I have it on good authority that my natural Irish appearance exempts me from this tradition.

My Bible Study discussed the concept of heaven. MLM’s daughter has expressed her issues with the concept of eternity and at MLM’s request we spent this week discussing the Biblical concept of heaven. While I do not think we broke any new ground, we did have a good discussion.

MLM and I discovered we have a mutual need that is more pressing. You may remember last week that during my teaching evaluation, I discovered that I overuse the word “basically.” MLM’s wife has chastised him for his similar frequency of the expression “the bottom line.” This is important as ministers use summary statements more than most to draw their typically wandering audience into critical points. If you can come up with any alternatives to these, feel free to let us know. We will be making a list.

CMU commented that my long hair and beard made me resemble country music singer Toby Keith. I never would have used that in my “Separated at Birth?” feature. RAW simply calls it “terrifying.” I think he is more accurate.

After the study I mailed off 18 resume packets complete with personalized cover letters and a CD of a sample sermon. (SMA wanted me to send my famous “I Have a Dream” sermon...) Many thanks to DAT (aka “The Big Cheese”) for professionally producing and labeling these CDs on short notice.

The list of churches is here.

I was at the post office for some time. There were only two employees and one lady occupied one of them the entire half hour I was there. She spent a great deal of time unpacking her package and then more time trying to shove its contents into a Priority Mail box when it was obvious they would not fit. Eventually, she had the clerk try to cram it in before they came to the conclusion that they needed two boxes. You think? She drew the ire of everyone there. (I know someone I know will know this lady.)

While taking this picture, the lady behind me glanced at my return address and recognized my name, though not my appearance. Evidently, she was not expecting me to look like Toby Keith. She was SOB (yes, her real monogram), a former church member and mother to my childhood peer, MB. Now a member of FBC-Concord, I had not seen her in years. MB is now living in Orlando and his older brother CB in San Antonio. Both are working in logistics and transportation. It was good to catch up. So I actually benefitted from the lady’s sheer incompetence.

I also got to see the always delightful PTD there. Maybe I should go to the Post Office more often.

Monday night, I attended JTH’s basketball game. His team had only five players and struggled. They rallied from a 25-5 deficit to only lose 43-27. That is quite a comeback. I got to catch up with SDSH and AMTT as well. (It bothers me that I sit with player's wives...) Naturally, I was enlisted to do the devotional and told of my experiences at the Georgia Dome.

I then went to RAW’s where there he made a campfire by the creek. I have no idea what prompted this but I do know it was planned, as KLTW obtained police approval for the fire. KL (aka “Sunshine”), MP, KLTW, KJW, MPW, and RAW all showed up. Hot dogs were roasted and S’mores were made. It was a terrible night to be on a diet. I showed great restraint by eating only my grapes. I did get to reference picking out the seeds and stems while throwing the stems in the fire. It takes so little to please me.

KJW seemed to enjoy it. She picked up a flashlight that weighs more she. She looked like she was about to tell a ghost story as she held it beneath her chin. Inevitably, she dropped the weighty item on her daddy’s foot. I felt guilty laughing.

My favorite moment came when she randomly said, “toot.” KLTW asked, “Did you toot?” She replied with confirmation, “Uh-huh.” She was very proud of herself for knowing the word. Priceless.

Most importantly, I completed my NCAA Tournament Bracket. I am in MBR’s bracket at Yahoo Sports Pick ‘Em, “Potty Trained & Potty Mouthed.” We already have 16 partipants. I do not know why I love it so much. Regardless of how much basketball I watch, I always finish last in any pool I am. Let the Tournament begin!

No comments: