Thursday, March 13, 2008

In Eckleburg’s Eyes - 3/13/2008

On Wednesday morning, CBP and I met at Bruegger’s to debrief regarding my teaching performance at Carson-Newman on February 28th. I had never eaten there before though evidently it has been open since December 15, 2006. (My obliviousness is not overly surprising.) The bakery is in the same shopping center as the Knoxville staple, Long's Drug Store. Its set-up rivals Subway and Pita Pit, with an emphasis on bagels. I enjoyed it.

CBP was basically complimentary, as usual. Her one criticism was basically that I overused the word “basically.” Basically, this happens to be one of her pet peeves as she has basically found that it is the new pause word for society, replacing the ever popular “uh...”. I had never noticed that I used this word. Basically, I am telling you this so that you can hold me accountable to have a more diverse vocabulary and basically not use the word “basically” so much.

The good news is that she asked me back next semester.

While there she also gave me a Flat Stanley. Flat Stanley was originally a children’s book, written by Jeff Brown in 1964. In the story, Stanley Lambchop is flattened when a bulletin board falls him. Flattened, he finds he can be mailed to his friends. The book was adapted into a project by Dale Hubert, a third grade teacher in Hamilton, Ontario, in 1995. It is meant to facilitate letter-writing by school children as they document what Flat Stanley has done with them.

My Flat Stanley is the property of Joseph Sloan, a kindergartner at Statesville (NC) Montessouri School. I may take Stanley to the SEC tournament this weekend. So long as I do not have to buy him a ticket.

On Wednesday night, I ate with my dad at the Silver Spoon Café as my mother was attending the Anne Murray concert at the Tennessee Theatre. I was not invited. Perhaps they assumed I would not want to go. If so, they would have been correct. DLNV, you may not always want to go to the party, but it’s always nice to be asked.

While at the restaurant, I got to see KGG! She was out with her friend ZW. She is well and will be in Destin for Spring Break next week. I apologize for the lightning in the picture. The restaurant’s lights dimmed at 8 to set a romantic mood. Dad and I really appreciated it too.

Yesterday was also BC’s birthday. Happy birthday!

As you may know, Subway’s latest marketing campaign features the ten-year anniversary of Jared Fogle’s weight loss. They are using the time honored tradition of before and after photos. Am I the only one who think Subway’s Jared looked more likeable fat? Maybe it’s the fact that he is wearing a Colts (Marshall Faulk) t-shirt. Then again, this is digitally erased on television and he still looks more affable to me. Anyone?

By the way, who asked Jared for an autograph?

No comments: