Tuesday, March 11, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 3/11/2008

Yesterday marked the first time my Bible Study moved from Thursdays to Mondays. When television programs have their time slot switched, they often struggle. My Bible Study was affected in the same manner. My attendance did not lag but my lesson on Luke 11:9-13 had an especially soporific effect on MLM. He assured me it was due to the chaotic weekend and the time change, but I am personally blaming my new time slot. It certainly could not be my teaching...


The church’s basketball league is on hiatus for a week as the gym is occupied with the annual Children’s Clothing Sale. Where are the church’s priorities? It opted to use the gymnasium to help children over allowing overaged men to behave like immature unsportsmanlike children. Well, at least that’s how I acted in the league anyway.

In the absence of the basketball league, JTH and I hung out. We got smoothies and then went to the Pita Pit. Unfortunately, the only local location is on campus, but I made the trip in spite of this fact. The place is almost a carbon copy of Subway, but with Pitas instead of sandwiches. I am pretty sure JTH loves the place just because their tip jars acknowledge that “Pita backwards is ‘a tip’.”

Then a minor miracle happened. We actually reserved a hotel room for our Charleston trip next week. We never plan that far in advance - a whole week. After our last improvised experience there which included two run-ins with the police, the skimpiest blankets in human history, learning that XTerras were not designed for sleep, hours securing a room in the middle of the night, etc. we may have actually learned our lesson for once.

We will be staying in a beachfront room at the Holiday Inn on Folly Beach. This is not to be confused with the Holliday Inn across the street. As my old professor Loyd Allen used to say, the extra L makes an L of a difference. In this case, it really does.

We then watched the movie Ella Enchanted. If you think that makes us look effeminate, the way we selected it was by viewing the recommendations on Amazon.com for A Cinderella Story! We both love us some Hilary Duff. This movie eerily parallels that one but is less entertaining. How could it be with no Duff? My review is posed under “A Veiled Tell: Nil Soli.”

In a futile attempt to regain my masculinity, I must note that Scarlett Johansson is for sale on eBay. Sort of. The auction is for charity and the winner gets to meet Scarlett and walk the red carpet en route to viewing her new movie He’s Just Not That Into You. The auction started with an opening bid of $.99. As of press time, there have been 161 bids and the price is up to $38,200. It is listed here. You know, my birthday is coming up and Scarlett would make a great gift...

As an aside, you know the winner of meeting Scarlett at the “meet and greet” will get less than a minute with her!

Is there anyway I can eliminate the “Insert” function from my computer? It occasionally is activated and I NEVER want it!

1 comment:

Chandler Vinson said...

"Scarlett" sold for $40,100. Unfortunately, I did not win her.