Friday, February 15, 2008

Bible Trivia - 2/15/2008

Question: What sin did Reuben commit which his father heard of (Genesis 35)?

Answer: He lay with his father’s concubine. (Genesis 35:22)

Comments: Reuben lay with his father’s concubine, Bilhah. The event is chronicled in only one verse with no consequences or reaction given, only that his father heard of it. Where did Jacob hear it? My guess is that younger brother, Joseph, presented as an informant at best and tattletale at worst two chapters later, spilled the beans.

Though unstated at the time, there was severe ramifications for Reuben’s action. This is the type of act, that is never completely forgotten. In Jacob’s blessing shortly before his death, he displaces the birthright from Reuben, his first born son:

Reuben, you are my firstborn;
My might and the beginning of my strength,
Preeminent in dignity and preeminent in power.
Uncontrolled as water, you shall not have preeminence,
Because you went up to your father's bed;
Then you defiled it--he went up to my couch. (Genesis 49:3-4, NASB)

I have always wondered if Reuben’s later actions surrounding Joseph were indicative of constant attempts to redeem himself. How awful life must have been before Jesus...

In a completely ridiculous observation, in the last three stories in which Reuben appears he is always in verse 22 of a given chapter (Genesis 35:22, 37:22, 42:22) I will let you discover for yourself the hidden meaning of this. (By that I mean, I got nothing.)

No comments: