Thursday, February 7, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 2/7/2008

I spent yesterday back home in Newport. I drove through a monsoon to arrive in Newport to eat with my grandparents. It was all worthwhile and not just because my grandmother bore a striking resemblance to the Emperor in Star Wars in her rain cap.

We ate at the Cracker Barrel. Despite my typically healthy diet, I ate chicken and dumplings with sides of dumplings and dumplings. It is worth the blocked arteries for the great taste and to see my grandmother’s joy as I place the order.

We spent the day, at my request, discussing my enigmatic great uncle Ed, whom disowned my family and my father never even got to meet. It was very interesting.

It was the first time I had been to Newport since my grandparents had a ramp installed at their home. Pleasant Grove Baptist Church constructed the ramp for free, for which my family is very grateful. My grandmother now employs a walker full-time. It does not seem to bother her so I will not let it bother me.

On my way out of town, I stopped and visited with my old friend, DLB. She now manages a Goodwill. She must be doing well as I have never seen a Goodwill that busy and I am somewhat of a Goodwill connoisseur.

She seemed to know all of her regulars. I was especially interested in a toothless woman, who routinely buys nice wigs only to cut them up so that the lining shows, and then wear them about town. She was very cordial and for all I know who unique appearance was intentional.

I spent the night eating with my parents at Silver Spoon before heading to RAW’s to watch the Duke-North Carolina basketball game with RAW, MPW, KJW, and ever so briefly KLTW.

To be honest, I watched KJW more than the game, not that the game was unappealing. In a highlight, I was the recipient of a rapid fire kissing spree typically reserved for inanimate objects such as her Frannie Bear. Now that she is more mobile, she has added a repertoire of physical humor to her verbal staples. Among her newest phrases is “Ice Ice Baby.” She says it clear as day. I have no idea why her father would want her to, but it is very funny. Nineteen months into this and I still can’t believe how much I love a baby.

Oh, Duke won the game. The significance of this is that Tennessee has (in my opinion) an unlikely chance to move up in the polls next week. I’ll just say, “Go Vols!” and let you talk now...

No comments: