Friday, February 29, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 2/29/2008

Yesterday morning marked a legitimate milestone in my life. It was the first time that I lectured a college class. CBP generously allowed me to teach her New Testament class at Carson-Newman College. I taught the book of Acts to classes at the Henderson Humanities building at 8:00 am and 10:30 am. I had to leave Knoxville in the 5 o’clock hour to arrive for a pre-class meeting. Evidently, there is a five o’clock hour on the am side of time as well. Who knew?

CBP had warned me of the apathy of her students going into the lecture. I had My Carson-Newman bubble burst a bit. I went to seminary with several Carson-Newman graduates and they were all elite students. In contrast, one of the students I had yesterday actually asked CBP if the class was going to perform scenes on the day marked “Acts.” I am sure she was greatly disappointed. That’s okay. I have disappointed women before.

The classroom was straight out of the 1970s. I am pretty sure I had seen the exact same television they had mounted on their wall to set the 1968 scene at the outset of American Gangster over the weekend. I honestly did not know that those sets could be mounted. Needless to say there was no dry erase board, PowerPoint option, etc. I was not too displeased as this meant as I did not have to prepare those supplements.

I hope my performance was satisfactory. CBP said my notes mirrored hers fairly well. I only had one student fall asleep during my lecture. He was struggling with strep throat and it was an 8 am class. I was assured it was not me. Even amidst the glazed stares of indifferent students, teaching felt very natural. I am very grateful for the opportunity.

The night was spent at MoFos as JTH was scheduled for a solo shift. It did not work out that way as PAT, JBT, MPW, RAW, and I all showed up to visit him. We talked for hours while JTH’s beloved Lost in Translation played in the background for the umpteenth time. There were often more people behind the counter than in the store. Sadly, customer service was still atrocious.

Afterwards, JTH, PAT and I were joined by Couple X at the Applebees in Bearden for half-priced appetizers. Yes, again.

The day was long, with an early start and late finish, but it was fun. My flu-like symptoms mitigate daily. I personally blame Tennessee post player Ryan Childress for city’s epidemic as he was the first person I heard of having it.

No comments: