Thursday, February 28, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 2/28/2008

I awoke yesterday to the sight of snow outside my house! Admittedly, the roads were completely clear, but it was still nice to see powder on the ground. While I clearly noticed the snow as I stopped to get a picture, I still proceeded to Shoney’s in shorts....

While at Shoney’s I saw TJW. He is a local actor and professor who has been in virtually every production I have ever been to. Knowing I was going to a play later that night, I asked him if he would be in it. He responded no, but that his wife would. So, I guess by the theology of two becoming one, TJW has still been in every local production I have seen.

I went to see “A Woman Called Truth” with my parents at the Cokesbury Center. It is a one act play by Sandra Fenichel Asher chronicling the life of Sojourner Truth (1797-1883). The play essentially depicts how the woman came to her name. She was born with the name Isabella and constantly changing her surname to reflect her various masters. When she was freed she gave herself the name “Soujourner” and the last name “Truth” to reflect her last master. Though abolition plays a prominent role in the play, the issues the play raises are quite relevant today.

The play was presented by “The WordPlayers”, a company of Christian Theatre Artists, with a cast of six. In fact, in successive scenes, Nathan Brown plays Truth’s brother Peter, her love interest Bob, and her child son, Pete. That my friends is called range.

Artece Lenneil Slay is delightful playing the title role. In one scene, Sojourner prays for a new master. I thought about how often we ask for less than God can provide. She does not think to pray for freedom, but rather a new master.

Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, (Ephesians 3:20, NASB)

The play runs at various venues through March 31, and I highly recommend it.

Afterwards, my parents and I at the Chop House. This restaurant is filed under restaurants I do not eat at on my own budget... It was good to reacquaint with our waiter and old church friend, GF.

Never one to make a trip to Farragut without seeing KJW, I stopped by and watched her while her father made pasta. She sat in my lap and watched an episode of “Family Guy,” which is clearly age appropriate. She likes anything animated. Why?

I also got great news - after months of searching for jobs, DBN is returning to Knoxville. He will remain in Lexington through March and then return home. Welcome home, Mongo!

Finally, yesterday, marked the birthday of our old friend JS. Happy birthday.

No comments: