Thursday, February 21, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 2/21/2008

Last night, MPW and I returned to our seats in 315A to watch our Vols annihilate Auburn. I was very pleased with the result as I had driven all the way to Auburn last year only to watch us lose.

We corrected two mistakes from our previous trip and I made another huge one. On the plus side, we did not “upgrade” our seats for this game and I actually wore a hoodie to combat the cold weather. Believe it or not, people were actually in our seats when we got there. I guess they realized that we have the best seats in the house.

The dumb thing I did was go to the game. I had been bedridden all day with a flu-like symptoms. I really wanted to go though as this was the last game of the season that was untelevised. So I took enough medication to numb Secretariat and we were on our way. I actually felt okay except for the hike up to our seats. I really thought I might collapse right there in front of God and everybody.

Tennessee dominated on the court. My analysis is filed under the “View from 315A.”

The only downside was that in a year of sub-par halftime programs, Tennessee hit an all-time low. A so-called band called the Sons of Bruce performed a song called “The Bruce is Loose.” Their video introduction was longer than the performance itself. The only time I have ever heard of anyone flopping that bad was in a Sunday School performance in which SMA, CEH, and I performed a self written song about LEJ. I know good and well the look on someone’s face when they are simply embarrassed for you as you do something and that was the gaze plastered across 20,000 faces last night. You can check out the video at http://www.bruceisloose.com/.

You will notice on their web site, that CBC-Bearden member Chase Pattison is in the group. Sorry, Chase. You are very talented and a redhead on top of that but this was a debacle.

If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times, just bring out little kids playing basketball or a geriatric chiropractor shooting three-pointers.

Amazingly, just after they performed, senior point guard Jordan Howell did a recorded performance of Marvin Gaye’s classic “Let’s Get in On” on the big screen. He sang and played the piano. He was surprisingly good. Still, MPW and I could not help but think about the fact that this crooning little man gave 6'9" Wayne Chism a concussion earlier in the season.

After the game, and with me getting increasingly congested, we went to Applebees for half priced appetizers in a never ending meal as our waitress “did not see” us at first and then must have forgotten our existence entirely. While there I ran into my old high school buddy, MLW. More importantly, I get numerous phone calls relating to the breakup of the six-year relationship of PAT and WRK. Please keep all involved in this relationship in your prayers.

No comments: