Wednesday, February 20, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 2/20/2008

Tuesday night was spent celebrating the end of WAM’s convalescence. He had been quite ill and, in my estimation, his recuperation was means for revelry. (As I get older, the cause that necessitates celebration diminishes.) So WAM, KLTW, KJW, RAW, and myself gathered at RAW’s home. KLTW cooked us a large breakfast for dinner, even cooking WAM French toast at his request. Her cooking was wonderful as usual.

While KLTW cooked, I undertook the futile task of cleaning KJW’s room. I estimate that she will have the room back to its typical state of disarray in fifteen minutes or less. I later learned not to place the noisy toys near the door as her mother tripped on a singing vacuum cleaner after finally getting KJW to sleep. Lesson learned.

Who on earth developed the concept of a singing vacuum cleaner?


KJW’s fascination with fashion is evident as she tends to try on any accessory that happens to be within her grasp. On this night, she modeled her own shades (left) as well as her mother’s (right). Heidi Klum’s got nothing on KJW!

I am thisclose to convincing her mother into entering KJW into a baby contest at Wal-Mart, solely to merit the gift card awarded the winner. I confess, that I had also thought about rooking her out of the title by not telling her, scavenging the web for Jessica Alba’s baby pictures, and winning by virtue of them. Nowhere in the contest rules does it say that I ever have to produce the child in the photo. I am sure other ministers had the same idea when seeing the contest...

Little did we know that the night would represent a major milestone in the life of KJW. It was the day that she discovered the "duh-dun-duh-dun!" At the dinner table we exhausted the supply of paper towels, leaving only the cardboard tube. It was then that she learned she could use the tube to amplify her voice. The "duh-dun-duh-dun!" was named by her cousin, CJT, because of the sound he made when he used it. I am honored to have been there for KJW’s first ultrasound, her birth, her first birthday, etc. but this was an especially significant turning point in her life.

We let WAM, as the guest of honor, select the night’s entertainment and he picked the movie 300. I did not make it through the film as when KJW went to bed, I took advantage of the pause to call it a night as well. I was so tired from an exhausting day. It reminded me of a 1965 episode of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" in which he is unjustly arrested and his only alibi is that he implausibly slept through The Guns of Navarone at the time of the crime. For my pride’s sake, I did want to stay up later than the toddler.

I will say, I had already seen 300 and enjoyed it. I would recommend "The History Channel Presents Last Stand of the 300 - The Legendary Battle at Thermopylae", now available on DVD. As a self respecting nerd, I am totally biased towards the History Channel’s version. Besides, fact is usually better than fiction.

Yestertday also marked the 30th birthday of my high school friend CAR. I did not forget!

No comments: