Tuesday, February 19, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 2/19/2008

Monday went by quickly. After a smash and grab breakfast with SMA at Shoney’s, I set out to purchase Built to Spill’s 1994 CD “There’s Nothing Wrong With Love.” This is newsworthy as I rarely buy new CDs (or anything else new for that matter). This is the first of many times I will lament the Disc Exchange West’s closing as Borders was sold out and I was forced to make the trip to South Knoxville to the original Disc Exchange to purchase the album. Several of the employees from the West Store have relocated there, so at least I had the same feeling of musical ignorance that engulfed me at the old store.

I spent Monday night eating with my parents at a very crowded Calhoun’s (it’s Burger Monday, man!) and after stopping to see JTH, I spent the evening with RAW, KLTW, and KJW. They had asked me over for tacos but I already had dinner plans with my family. It is a good thing to as the girls far exceeded their usual taco intake and there would not have been enough for me anyway. They both need to put on some weight. Problems I wish I had...

We just hung out, or as we Baptists say had fellowship. We did not watch any television or movies, play games, etc. It was nice. We did have great entertainment in the form of KJW.

My mother loves KJW as much as I do so I asked KJW if she wanted to call her. Since she loves my cell phone, she said, “Oday” (her standard form of consent). When I got my mother on the line, KJW got shy. She rapidly and definitively said “No!” to anything I would ask her. I thought I would play this to my advantage, so after a dozen negatives, I asked her, “Do you want your Uncle Chan to change your diaper?” She responded, “Oday.” Comedic timing like that cannot be taught.

We also found great amusement when RAW clipped her Valentine’s Day balloon to the back of her shirt. It is a large (relative to her) mylar balloon. We convinced her that the balloon was chasing her and she ran for minutes around the house looking back, batting at it, etc. trying to evade it as RAW and laughed. Though as I type this it sounds strangely like torture, all we could think was - “why have we not thought of this before?”

The floor show also included dancing, her staple Fast Feet™, and several costume changes (some unplanned and in front of the audience). The highlight of the impromptu wardrobe switches was her deciding to wear her favorite hat, a Winnie the Pooh bucket hat. I could go on and on and bout that kid, and in fact I have.

Despite KJW’s precociousness, the best news of the day is that BCA secured tickets for the SEC basketball tournament in March for SMA and me. She was worried that we would be disappointed that the seats were in the rafters. Was she kidding? I have always wanted to go. The Vols have never done well in the tournament and I am hoping our presence will break the trend.

No comments: