Monday, February 18, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 2/18/2008

My weekend activities centered around another road trip following Tennessee basketball, this time to Athens, GA. Our last trip was to Starville, MS. Either I am a big fan of the Vol basketball team or I just like looking at people in Bulldog costumes. You be the judge.

The fact that I intended to go to the game on Saturday was the extent of my planning. I assumed I would meet my friends, SMA and MPW, who were each driving separately, perhaps in Atlanta. This all changed Friday morning when SMA, who lives in Birmingham, made an unexpected visit to my house, choosing to ride together. The fact that this was unplanned is evidenced by his going commando. This fact unnerved me and I wanted to spread that sentiment.

On Friday morning we left Knoxville with no map, no hotel reservation, and no tickets to the sold out game. You may hear this and think that this is a recipe for disaster. We prefer to regard it as a blueprint for adventure.

We broke the trip up by first stopping in Chattanooga. This allowed me to make my obligatory stop at McKay Used Books and CDs as well as a jaunt to Wal-Mart for SMA to purchase underwear. I am not sure which was a bigger concern - for me.

I nixed SMA’s suggestion of eating at Five Guys in Chattanooga as I like to eat in places I cannot at home while on road trips. After scavenging a crowded sector of Chattanooga and getting back on the interstate, we ultimately ate at the Cracker Barrel in Dalton, GA. I suppose my hunger outweighed my desire for adventure.

We next stopped in Atlanta for a Horseman Reunion with MHD and his wife LD. It was the first time we have gotten together since their wedding last April. MHD is one of our all-time favorite people and we were a little concerned that our married comrade with a corporate job had outgrown us. When we arrived we soon learned that the couple had celebrated Valentine’s Day by attending Step Up 2 the Streets as a humorous endeavor and their plans for St. Patrick’s Day were to throw a Protestant party to rebel against LD’s job at a Catholic school. Our fears were clearly unwarranted.

We toured their home, near their alma mater, Oglethorpe. MHD was especially proud of his basement, which we are pretty sure was the basis for the Saw movie series. We discussed all of the important issues - professional wrestlers (real and fake), crazy story concepts (featuring obelisks, zombies, his basement, etc.), and the once unfathomable concept that my hair is longer than MHD’s. LD was so understanding as we laughed, reminisced and talked of nothingness. The visit was great and I had already decided that if Athens was a bust, the trip had already been a success.

I had hoped to see my seminary friend CAB on Friday night, but she was in South Carolina celebrating her mother’s birthday. So, after a brief nostalgic look at my seminary’s campus, we decided to spend the night in Athens.

I have been to Athens several times, most notably for two football games and chauffeuring PRJ throughout the city, but this is one of the first times I really had time to tour it.

Our first stop in Athens was the 40 Watt Club. It is a historic venue that launched many careers, including numerous "Athens bands" such as R.E.M., Drivin' and Cryin', and the Indigo Girls. The Krush Girls were performing on this night. Disinterested in their act, we opted to view the building from the outside. The structure itself is not overly impressive, situated in an average corner building, but a great venue’s magic is not in the brick and mortar. Despite its unimpressive exterior, we were glad we saw it.

We then got our hotel room at a Howard Johnson Express. It was my choice as, to my knowledge, I had never stayed at a HoJos and I liked the 1980's baseball player of the same name. Unbeknownst to us, we were staying at a modern marvel. I have no idea how such thin walls were structurally sound. Our “neighbors” were a young family. This was probably the second worst scenario behind a newlywed couple, as at least children have bedtimes. Then again, I would really have pity on anyone honeymooning at the Howard Johnson Express in Athens. The hotel served its purpose though and we were pleased enough that it strangely resembled the hotel featured in the movie Bottle Rocket

After checking in, we ate at a nearby Applebees, primarily out of convenience and to a lesser degree my affinity for their appetizers. Unfortunately, in Georgia, Applebees franchises do not carry potato skins. Why!?!?!

My only other complaint regarding Friday was the fact that I missed a party held every February in Knoxville of our old friends from Newport. I missed you guys.



On Saturday, we ate at a small restaurant called the the Basil Press. It was very nice, lodged in an old downtown building with stained glass windows. We liked everything about it. Upon the recommendation of the server, I had the mutton French dip. It was one of the best sandwiches I have ever eaten. The service was wonderful as well. The manager’s brother actually manages the Tomato Head restaurant in Knoxville.

After lunch, we went about the task of securing tickets. We quickly learned that the box office would be of no use to us, so we went to an ATM. Before processing his request, the ATM machine asked us if a $2 service charge was going to be acceptable for the withdrawal. We thought about cancelling the transaction and just driving back to Knoxville at that very moment.

Unlike any game we have been to in some time, we could not find a scalper anywhere near Stegeman Coliseum. It was about an hour and a half before tip-off and we were getting a little concerned. Then, by chance, we met a nice couple who had season tickets. Seeing me enquiring about tickets from a passerby, they offered us to sit with them in their season tickets at a very reasonable price. We wound up sitting in the eleventh row. I honestly think we reminded them of their children. Dumbstruck by our good fortune, at that moment, I decided not to be obnoxious during the game. I tried. Honestly, I did. As the intensity of the game escalated, so did my obnoxiousness. I am not sure they did not regret their decision to sit by us.

There is a natural tendency to want to compensate for the home fans by being louder. It is a license to be obnoxious, if you will. The problem is, when you are already obnoxious to begin with, it can become excessive. We did have fun though.

A chance encounter with a former president of Tennessee’s Atlanta Alumni Association gave me a new perspective on the ticket situation. It seems she tried to order tickets for her group, but a Knoxville group had already bought up four hundred seats. The ticket office would not sell her any. The game was “sold out” but a good portion of the stadium was empty. Tennessee had a huge throng of fans and at times, it seemed like a home game. I suppose Georgia would rather have empty seats than Vol fans.

Before the game, Tennessee sophomore J.P. Prince’s father talked to us. He actually initiated the encounter. Camaraderie at road games never ceases to amaze me. I was also agape that I actually knew what our player’s father looked like. I really am a groupie...

My thoughts on the game were posted in the “View from 315A.”

After the game, we met up with MPW and JeML for the Bruce Pearl Show. This was largely to cheer the Vols as they came out because we had no audio connection. At one point in time, 107.7's speakers were brought to road games so that the fans in attendance could follow the program. Bob Kesling told the large group of supporters that we could blame Vanderbilt for our predicament as they had lodged a formal protest and the WIVK speakers were now banned on the road. He was cheered loudly as he lamented, “...another reason I hate Vanderbilt.”

The highlight of the post-game show came when Chris Lofton arrived to be interviewed by Kesling, as he had been awarded player of the game honors. Lofton was inundated with a wide range of objects to sign. Amidst the deluge, a woman emerged and handed her baby, adorned in a UT hat, to Lofton so that she could get a photo. An obliging, but uncomfortable Lofton posed for a picture with the child. Somewhere in the sea of Tennessee fans, someone yelled out “Shoot it!” That could be interpreted many ways, none of which would be in the baby’s best interests.

No, the fan was not one of us!

We then embarked on the ride home. Thankfully, the trip was completely uneventful. The time flew by as SMA’s iPod played a steady stream of Built to Spill, The Decemberists, and The Pogues. We both sang the entire “Picaresque” album, which is one of my all-time favorites.

The only regret I had about the trip, was that I missed a photo op with JuJuan Smith and his mother. The thought of taking this picture gives me great amusement and I hope I will get another opportunity.



On Sunday, I visited with JCN and KFN and met their newborn baby, DTN. The trip was delayed as I had forgotten that they had moved from Deane Hill to Rocky Hill. They were, however, pleased to know that their old home was being well kept.

He is an extremely beautiful boy. He is also a big boy - weighing nine pounds, eleven ounces at birth! I did not think babies came that big outside of Texas. For whatever reason, they both acknowledged that in his entire life (all 17 days of it), he had never cried as much as when I visited. I sometimes have that effect on people so I will not hold it against him.

JCN has been keeping a blog since last June, chronicling the pregnancy through the present. More importantly it has great photos of his beautiful child. Check it out at http://babyneely.blogspot.com/.

Sunday night was spent watching the movie Speak with JTH. JTH has been on a real Kristen Stewart kick of late, repeatedly watching In the Land of Women. While I probably should not encourage his fascination with a seventeen-year old, I had read good reviews of the film and thoroughly enjoyed it. My review is posted under “A Veiled Tell: Nil Soli.”

After eating at Applebees the third straight night (by choice), we called it a night. Can you say “addictive personality?”

I hope all of you had great weekends too.

No comments: