Wednesday, February 13, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 2/13/2008

Yesterday marked the birthdays of SMA and my childhood friend, KEO. Many blessings.

I spent the evening with RAW, KLTW, and my beloved, KJW.

One of KJW’s favorite new toys is a bunny that her great granddaddy gave her. It plays “Jesus Loves Me” when you press its belly. She loves it! I am so pleased. Karl Barth (1886-1968), perhaps the most influential theologian of the 20th century, was asked in 1962 (on his sole visit to America) how he would summarize the essence of the millions of words he had published. He replied, "Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so." So in my estimation, KJW already understands the gist of Church Dogmatics. She is so advanced.

One of her favorite books is the My First Bible, given to her by yours truly. She brought it out for us to read to her. Now, if her parents would just let me start teaching her Greek...

The thing she was most interested in last night was SpongeBob SquarePants, known to her simply as “Bob.” We decided to take her to MoFoS, to check on the availability of “Bob” and so she could see JTH, her “Uncle Hickey,” whom loves her though he would never admit it.

Her daddy had her look at JTH and mimic the words “Dumb Hickey.” Despite the fact that the child did not know what she was saying (or at least mean it anyway), JTH instantly, “Well, you were a mistake!” Touché.

After purchasing KJW some “Bob,” the four of us went to IHOP and participated in “National Pancake Day.” From 7 am - 10 pm, every customer was privy to a free small stack. The only catch was that they asked you to consider making a donation to the Children’s Miracle Network. We could not believe the place was not packed, but we got right in. I guess this was not something they advertised.

I noted that “free” is perhaps my favorite word. RAW countered with “Snickerdoodle.” I could not argue.

Like ordering her a half-priced appetizer at Applebees for my consumption, here I ordered KJW’s free small stack. I get a great joy out of using the child for discounted food. She did get to eat silver dollar pancakes. For future parenting reference - beware of food with syrup.

We then returned to their house to view the 1993 version of The Three Musketeers at my request. For some reason, unknown to even me, I wanted to watch the film. I enjoyed it very much, it was just random.

I will close today with Aramis' (Charlie Sheen) method of “wenching,” perhaps my favorite scene in the film:

As morning hues of sun swept fire caress your passion face. Alone with thee in pure desire, to worship your untold grace. My soul would cry in silent prayer, for hours spent apart. Your essence warms the evening air, as I dance into your heart.

I will consider my dating career a success if I can utter those words to a girl’s face without laughing.

No comments: