Tuesday, February 12, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 2/12/2008

JTH and I went to the Bearden-Karns girl’s varsity high school game last night. File that under things that I never thought I would be doing. We had been intending to support MoT all season and when I learned it would be her last home game early in the day, we thought it was time to go.

We put our usual excessive amount of planning into the night. By that, I mean absolutely none. JTH was already scheduled to work alone at MoFoS. So, naturally, he called and received permission to close the store to attend the game. So, JTH locked the door and met me at Bearden. Yes, you read that right, a business was closed for a girl’s high school basketball game.

I arrived to witness the end of the JV game and surprisingly, knew three of Bearden’s players, one of their cheerleaders, and their JV coach, JB. We had three of the kids in daycare and one at church. I have been asserting since the summer that JB looks like a really tall Tom Cruise. JTH was the first person to agree with me. Anyone?

JTH arrived and we sat with MoT’s parents during the game. We quickly learned that she would not be playing or dressing for the game. We did get to sit with our church friends, MoT’s family, WW, and LBC. More importantly, we got to sit directly behind the loudest fan in the gym, which was worth the price of admission. I am not dogging her. I once was that fan.

Then, JTH received a phone call. It seems that as he closed the store, he actually locked a customer in! The customer, fearing activating an alarm system, called the police from the store. The police, in turn, called the store manager, who having given two weeks notice, does not have a key to the store. So, JTH had to leave the game to rescue the customer he stranded. Does it seem strange that I, who does not work at the store, possesses a key, and the store manager does not?

JTH missed a good portion of the first half of the game. Senior night festivities lengthened the game significantly and I had to meet my father at the Spoon at 8 so I missed the 4th quarter. I later learned Bearden lost by two points.

So, MoT did not play, her team lost the game, and both of us missed significant parts of the action. Maybe we should start planning...

My father and I ate at watched the Tennessee-Rutgers women’s basketball game at the Spoon. I cannot believe I watched parts of two women’s basketball games in one day. I was glad I watched The Lady Vols game as we won assuring Tennessee of the #1 ranking and the ending was so controversial it was featured on ESPN. I also saw Bruce Pearl wearing pink to support cancer research. Bruce always pulls off huge fashion risks at Lady Vol games, yet one more reason to love the man.

After dinner, I helped JTH at MoFos. By helped, I mean I sat and hung out as the store was dead, having already closed earlier in the evening. Ways to kill business...

Afterwards, I picked RAW up from work. Both of his vehicles are acting up, so he went home with me and borrowed my truck for a few days. It was good to get some one-on-one time with one of my best friends.

1 comment:

Chandler Vinson said...

The recap of the Karns-Bearden game from the 2/12 Knoxville News-Sentinel:

Karns 55, Bearden 52: The Lady Beavers made all 10 fourth-quarter free throws to improve to 13-10. Megan Randall led Karns with 19 points. Rikki Sanders of Bearden (15-10) cut the deficit to one point with a big basket late but missed a game-tying free throw.